how to teach older chicks

MissPoulette

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased older chicks from a co-op. There are 6 of them, 2 of them are about a month old and the other 4 about two weeks old. (I think) Is it possible to train / teach them not to be afraid of me? I tried treats but I'm unsure how long that will take...months? I also tried holding treats out to them but they are not interested.
Any advice?

Thanks

It takes time and many chickens will never become cuddle-pets, but if you spend time with them in a non-threatening way -- just sitting in the run with them -- and offer plenty of treats such as tasty garden weeds, wet food, or limited amounts of mealworms, scratch, etc. they'll get accustomed to your presence.
patience...*sigh, looking for it all the time. Thanks. :)

Sit with them and do nothing for 20 minutes, take a phone or a book. Don't look at them, or even talk to them.

Next day, repeat for 10-15 minutes, but then scatter a treat, a long ways away from you. They will scatter - but then find the treat. Sit quietly until they quiet, and leave. Talk a little bit to them.

Next day - repeat - only toss the treat just a little bit closer, but still a ways away from you.

Next day, drop the feed at your feet. By now they should be comfortable with you. Talk to them, but do not reach for them. They should be comfortable all around your feet.

Next day, when you enter, they should be expecting a treat, coming toward you, sit down again and wait. They should approach you, NOW offer the feed in your hands.

In a day or two - they will approach you, and eventually one will jump into your lap.

Mrs K

Sit with them and do nothing for 20 minutes, take a phone or a book. Don't look at them, or even talk to them.

Next day, repeat for 10-15 minutes, but then scatter a treat, a long ways away from you. They will scatter - but then find the treat. Sit quietly until they quiet, and leave. Talk a little bit to them.

Next day - repeat - only toss the treat just a little bit closer, but still a ways away from you.

Next day, drop the feed at your feet. By now they should be comfortable with you. Talk to them, but do not reach for them. They should be comfortable all around your feet.

Next day, when you enter, they should be expecting a treat, coming toward you, sit down again and wait. They should approach you, NOW offer the feed in your hands.

In a day or two - they will approach you, and eventually one will jump into your lap.

Mrs K

Mrs K
Thanks.....I guess I need a book to read or something to help me pass the time.

Back
Top Bottom