How to Teaching chicken to drink

Ricks Chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
Wisconsin
I have been watering my chickens with a watering pan, but this winter i need a heated water container so I purchased one that is a bucket with water spouts (not sure of correct terminology). How do I teach my chicken to drink from it, so far they just ignore it?

Horizontal nipples?

Nipple and/or Cup waterer training can be challenging indeed.
I've had 2 day old chicks figure it out in a couple hours and older birds taking much longer to 'get it'.

You do need to remove all other water sources, and this should not be done during extreme heat or cold as you don't want to risk dehydration.

Just keep tapping the button and eventually they'll get it, could take an hour, could take a week.

Sometimes grabbing their head and tapping the button with their beak works, sometimes it just freaks them out.

Patience and perseverance, like other thing with chickens, is definitely needed with the nipple waterer 'training'.

small-bottle-waterer-5-23-17-3-jpg.673841

Horizontal nipples?

Nipple and/or Cup waterer training can be challenging indeed.
I've had 2 day old chicks figure it out in a couple hours and older birds taking much longer to 'get it'.

You do need to remove all other water sources, and this should not be done during extreme heat or cold as you don't want to risk dehydration.

Just keep tapping the button and eventually they'll get it, could take an hour, could take a week.

Sometimes grabbing their head and tapping the button with their beak works, sometimes it just freaks them out.

Patience and perseverance, like other thing with chickens, is definitely needed with the nipple waterer 'training'.

small-bottle-waterer-5-23-17-3-jpg.673841
Thank you, will try.

Once one of them gets it they all seem to catch on...monkey see monkey do. Maybe try the "smartest" or most social one that won't mind you messing with them. Or something that will stick...peanut butter or mine will kill you for some soft goat cheese. If they see you put it on they usually can't stand not trying it out at least and they might accidentally get a wee drink and get a clue.

For some birds I picked them up and use their beaks to toggle for water, until they started getting the hang of it (my flock is fairly tame, obviously). Others figured it out from watching the others. It can take some birds a long time to figure it out so you do want to keep an eye on them and make sure that all of them successfully use the toggles before removing all other water sources.

It can take some birds a long time to figure it out so you do want to keep an eye on them and make sure that all of them successfully use the toggles before removing all other water sources.
I usually leave only the nipples during the day, but late in day before roost time I'll put out an open waterer do they don't go to roost dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom