How to Tell If an Egg is Edible?

OhCluck

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Callands, VA
How to Tell if An Egg is Going Bad_ (1).png

This is not a fail-proof test. The float test simply measures freshness. The fresher the egg the smaller the air cell and therefore it will sink. However a bad egg may still sink! Ultimately, when in doubt, do the float test and if it sinks, crack it into a separate bowl and inspect it visually and by scent. If it looks normal and has no scent, it is edible!

Fallacy!
Passed on overandoverandoverandoverandover,
despite it's inaccuracy.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.

Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Fallacy!
despite it's inaccuracy.

Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Very well said.

Thank you all for your feedback

I wrote an extensive article on this and mentioned a lot of what you cover, I did not want to post a link to the article just the infographic that I created. I will try to see ways to determine what would be a good way to indicate the concerns mentioned.

Yes, I do understand that a floating egg may not be bad. However, it's a good indication that it is. The only way to know if an egg is truly bad is to open it.

Have any of you ever opened an egg that was floating, and smelt death? I have... It's disgusting. I would rather chuck a random egg that floats than open one and have to air out my kitchen for a few days. It's your choice, go ahead and crack open a floating egg if it makes you feel better.

@hysop - Thank you :) I love the name too :) hehe.

An egg that floats isn't necessarily bad, it is just older but still likely edible.
This is not a fail-proof test. The float test simply measures freshness. The fresher the egg the smaller the air cell and therefore it will sink. However a bad egg may still sink! Ultimately, when in doubt, do the float test and if it sinks, crack it into a separate bowl and inspect it visually and by scent. If it looks normal and has no scent, it is edible!
To not be wasteful you can crack the eggs that float one at a time and go off of smell & look/consistency of the egg white and yolk.

The float test is more to see how old an egg is based on air cell size and not so much if it’s good to eat.
All the water does is tell you that an egg has an air cell big enough to cause it to float so it's an older egg. Floating does not mean it's necessarily bad.
Fallacy!
despite it's inaccuracy.

When in doubt....
On a separate note, I love your username and profile pic 😍 @OhCluck

Back
Top Bottom