How to tell if chicks are too hot or too cold

Chickymama18

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2020
Hi! I have chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. I am using a heat plate made by "producers pride" to heat their coop. Their brooder was inside my living room but they were very crafty at getting out often so I moved them outside on my front porch where I have a coop that I used with my older ladies the winter before last.

I sealed it back up to ensure they can't get out and moved their heat plate out with them. It's an old crib with wood nailed around the sides to seal up all the cracks. I have been putting a piece of wood on the top to make sure they can't get out. Tonight I noticed they are chirping loudly and are cuddled in the corner together on the opposite side away from heat plate instead of under the heat plate where they usually are at night. It gets down to about 30 at night right now.

I'm just concerned about the reason they aren't under the heat plate. I certainly don't want to overheat them or make it too cold for them. Since they are 3 weeks almost would it be a good idea to move the heat plate from the brooder position to the coop position? Or should I remove the top so more air gets in and it doesn't get too warm for them? I just want them to be safe and comfortable. Thanks so much in advance for any tips!!

What is the temperature where are the chicks are huddled at?

How far are the chicks from the heat plate?

Have you picked them up from the corner and set them directly under the plate?

I have zero experience with heat plates but I'm sure a picture of your current setup would help others help you.....

Thanks so much for your reply!
I'm actually laying my kiddos down now so can't go out to snap a pic but that's a good tip for future so thank you. Also my daughter went to check on them soon after I posted and they had moved back under the heat plate. They are fine now i just seem to overreact with their behavior as the first batch I got this year didn't make it and I'm pretty sure it was due to being overheated. I had them in a box in my living room that the lady at the farm store said was big enough for them until they got bigger. I felt it was a bit small with the heat plate and should of listened to my instincts and am still beating myself up about it as I feel so terrible. So this batch I seem to be a bit more sensitive. I appreciate the reply and the tip about the pic, that makes a lot of sense. If I have another issue tomorrow I will mAke sure and include one.

Back
Top Bottom