How to tell if deworming worked.

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
I dewormed my chickens about a month ago when I saw a tapeworm in it. She looks healthy but she lays eggs with no shell and lays the yolk somewhere and then later the membranes. I am not sure if this is really related though. How can I tell if the deworming worked?

What did you use to deworm? You wouldn't see any worms if it worked, and there's an egg withdrawal of 14 days after the last dose.
How old is she?
What are you feeding?
Has she always laid shell less eggs?

Worming has nothing to do with "shell less eggs" ... She's needing calcium. Do your girls have access to Oyster Shells? See if you have some calcium tablets or even Tums, crush them up and try getting her to eat it.

What did you use to deworm? You wouldn't see any worms if it worked, and there's an egg withdrawal of 14 days after the last dose.
How old is she?
What are you feeding?
Has she always laid shell less eggs?

Worming has nothing to do with "shell less eggs" ... She's needing calcium. Do your girls have access to Oyster Shells? See if you have some calcium tablets or even Tums, crush them up and try getting her to eat it.
Fenbendazole 15 cc per gallon first week then next week 10 cc. There are no worms. I feed her layer pellets, water, oyster shell and grit in separate feeder, and treats. She has always layed perfect strong eggs. Also I tried giving her calcium and vitamin d3 but I’m never able to get her to eat it fully. I need help on that. I’ve crushed it up and hid in mealworms and put in wet feed. She has never eaten all of it. I need tips on how to feed it to her. Thanks.

Is your oyster shell feeder easily accessible? When mine moved next to the door to outside, one of my hen's eggs improved. She wasn't going to the oyster shell feeder at the back of the coop.
Otherwise, poor shell quality can be a problem for an occasional hen, especially as they age. I have one like that right now, I think the same hen who had issues last year.
Mary

Worming has nothing to do with the egg shell strength ... Calcium does which layer has more hence called 'layer'. Oyster shell should be offered free choice, try what Folly's place recommended, relocating the OS. As for trying to get them to eat the crushed calcium/tums maybe try plain yogurt ...

Back
Top Bottom