How to tell if your Chicken is a Hen or a Rooster. Answers HERE!!

BoomChickaPop

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
Relaxing with my Buns
I have seen so many posts on BYC, of people wondering if their chicken is a hen or a rooster? So I have put together a post to help people find out what they actually have.
Here we go!

These are the long beautiful feathers on a rooster, that you should look out for. They should be shiny and long.

Look for a red comb(If the bird is young, the comb will turn a brighter red color then the hens).

Listen to their voice, Rooster tend to have a deeper raspier voice then the hens. And around 5-7 months they will start crowing.

Look for bigger, thicker feet than the hens. Now roosters don't get spurs this long until they are at least 1 1/2 years of age.

Keep an eye out for long tails developing. The tails will start to turn pretty colors as they grow.

And that is how you can tell a rooster from a hen.

Now here is what to look for in hens

The hens typically have smaller combs and wattles( Depends on age and breed)

On a hen, the saddle feathers are short and rounded, compared to the roosters long and shiny feathers.

Hens legs, are nice and skinny. compared to the roosters big and thick legs. But hens can grow spurs at 3 years and up.

Hens also have a different voice than the roosters. They have more of a soft cluck, but it tends to differ.

This is what an adult hen looks like. She has no long saddle feathers, No curved tail, rounded hackle feathers, and a large comb(But she is an adult).

I hope this helps you
-BCP

Last edited:
Continued..
IMG_7589.jpg
Hens also have a different voice than the roosters. They have more of a soft cluck, but it tends to differ.

This is what an adult hen looks like. She has no long saddle feathers, No curved tail, rounded hackle feathers, and a large comb(But she is an adult).

I hope this helps
-BCP

Last edited:
Hey BoomChickaPop! I was wondering, what would a 4 month cockerel spur nubs look like compared to a 4 month pullets? Great thread! I nominate for sticky!
-Liv

Hey BoomChickaPop! I was wondering, what would a 4 month cockerel spur nubs look like compared to a 4 month pullets? Great thread! I nominate for sticky!
-Liv
Probably the nubs on the rooster would be a little bigger. And the hens smaller. Not sure lol, I will have to go look at some of my 4 month olds to know for sure
And thankyou! I had nothing else to do so I thought of this.

-BCP

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom