1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell when a chicken will no longer lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by squatfisher, Oct 7, 2009.

1. squatfisher

squatfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Is there a way to tell when a hen is past her prime for laying eggs? I've got about 40 chickens so I can't tell which ones are still laying or not. I heard somewhere that you could feel around on their underside and tell, but I didn't get any specifics

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i think it takes 2 years to get past their "prime"

.... but i would like to see someone else answer this one

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You can check the space between their pelvic bones to see if they are currently laying. But, I don't know any way to tell if they are finished laying forever.

4. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
  5. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Quote:I just looked at that webiste. According to the pictures my hens are okay layers. They are also in very good health.

Those pictures are also pretty sad. It seems like good layers put everything into lay and not much in their own health.

Since my hens are really pets, I am glad they slow down in winter, molt slowly and early and are not underweight or anemic. I pushing for them to make it to at least 12 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by