1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to to turn pellets into crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Arielle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Does anyone crumble their pellets??? I know this is what the commercial feed companies do to make the crumbles; I just would like to know how to change the pellets to crumbles and see if my birds will eat it more. Thanks.

2. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    I don't, but maybe a blender/food processor? Can't do a ton at a time this way so it may take awhile depending on the amount of feed you have to "crumble." Is there crumble you can purchase and mix in with the pellets? Where I am there is no price dif between pellets and crumble.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I know this is what the commercial feed companies do to make the crumbles

They don't "make" crumbles.

They are broken pieces of pellets that are screened out during the manufacturing process

"Mash" is the dust like particles that fall through even finer screens​

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They don't "make" crumbles.

They are broken pieces of pellets that are screened out during the manufacturing process

"Mash" is the dust like particles that fall through even finer screens

?

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Yes ... a blender, food processor, or grinder would work just fine. It's easy to get it too fine though so go slow.

6. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I am glad to hear that they can be put into a food processor. I have about 75lbs of pellets, and my hens all want to eat the crumbles I have for the little chicks.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form. This photo shows mash on the left. It is a complete ration of milled grains, vitamins, and minerals, but not pelletized. That's all we feed here.

[​IMG]

8. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form. This photo shows mash on the left. It is a complete ration of milled grains, vitamins, and minerals, but not pelletized. That's all we feed here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OjExqXO8no0/TG7DsSkjN3I/AAAAAAAAALQ/ztYnARfgN5k/s320/100_44781.jpg

Mac, this may be a question you've answered before, but why do you feed mash instead of pellets or crumbles?

BTW, we feed a lightly milled type of organic mash. No particular reason other than our girls just don't like pellets.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form

That's what I said too.

Only the form is different

When they make pellets, (milled grain extruded with a binder) some get broken, and some get powdered.

It's all basically just grain​

10. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    You might be able to use a small grain mill if you have access to one. We prefer the pellets because they aren't as messy, and the girls don't seem to mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by