How to to turn pellets into crumbles?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Does anyone crumble their pellets??? I know this is what the commercial feed companies do to make the crumbles; I just would like to know how to change the pellets to crumbles and see if my birds will eat it more. Thanks.

I don't, but maybe a blender/food processor? Can't do a ton at a time this way so it may take awhile depending on the amount of feed you have to "crumble." Is there crumble you can purchase and mix in with the pellets? Where I am there is no price dif between pellets and crumble.

I know this is what the commercial feed companies do to make the crumbles

They don't "make" crumbles.

They are broken pieces of pellets that are screened out during the manufacturing process

"Mash" is the dust like particles that fall through even finer screens​

Quote:
They don't "make" crumbles.

They are broken pieces of pellets that are screened out during the manufacturing process

"Mash" is the dust like particles that fall through even finer screens

?

I am glad to hear that they can be put into a food processor. I have about 75lbs of pellets, and my hens all want to eat the crumbles I have for the little chicks.

Quote:
Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form. This photo shows mash on the left. It is a complete ration of milled grains, vitamins, and minerals, but not pelletized. That's all we feed here.

100_44781.jpg

Quote:
Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form. This photo shows mash on the left. It is a complete ration of milled grains, vitamins, and minerals, but not pelletized. That's all we feed here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OjExqXO8no0/TG7DsSkjN3I/AAAAAAAAALQ/ztYnARfgN5k/s320/100_44781.jpg

Mac, this may be a question you've answered before, but why do you feed mash instead of pellets or crumbles?

BTW, we feed a lightly milled type of organic mash. No particular reason other than our girls just don't like pellets.

Mash is milled grains in the un-pelletized form

That's what I said too.

Only the form is different

When they make pellets, (milled grain extruded with a binder) some get broken, and some get powdered.

It's all basically just grain​

Back
Top Bottom