How to train chickens to stay out of front yard.

zrachie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Long Island
Hi All,

Not sure if there is any possible way to do this, other than making an enclosed run, but I have 36 chickens. The rear yard contains their chicken coop, a 40x60' garden and 23 acres of grapes as well as pines,a bit of forested area as well as covered areas and field.....plenty of space and all different kinds of opportunities for the chicks to forage around...however, they are all hanging out in the front yard, on our porch, in the mulched beds and our meticulously maintained landscaping....eggs or no eggs, my husband is ready to pull his hair. Is there any way to "train" them to use the aforementioned space instead of our living space? Thanks!

Regards,
Rachel

I use to turn on the lawn sprinkler when they went out front and they would run. They were eating the wifies plants and she was in the same frame of mind your husband is LOL.

Our porch hens, waiting for some attention.

57188_dsc00564.jpg

Quote:
And when is that? Our 5-year old birds have been chased out of the front lawn for, well, 5 years and they still come back. My DW gets her exercise that way.
smile.png

Quote:
And when is that? Our 5-year old birds have been chased out of the front lawn for, well, 5 years and they still come back. My DW gets her exercise that way.
smile.png

WOW 5 years,

thats along time to wait before deciding to do something, mabe it to late i don't really know if an old chicken can learn new tricks.
lol.png

We used hot wire for one side of the property. There is a side driveway that leads to some houses behind our house, and people fly down that driveway. I felt bad about the chickens getting zapped, but getting run over by a car would be more painful. That, and I would have to stay outside with them and chase them back to our side of the fence. It took about 2 months, but for the most part they stay on our side of the fence. They rarely go up front, but when they do they get the hose. We live on a fast road, so I don't want them going near the road. Only 2 or 3 venture up there on occasion anyway.

I think that constantly chasing them may be how they finally learned.

Back
Top Bottom