How to train ducks not to attack and bite

Mine recently started an obsession with my feet. I pick him up, snuggle him, kiss him and then let him flap his little wings and pretend to fly away in disgust. Usually keeps him from messing with me for an hour or two. And he thus far has bitten my toe once. I promptly picked him up and (gently! With lips only as their bills are super sensitive) bit the tip of his beak. He has not even thought about biting since. He hates being molested and the whole flip him on his back thing was just getting my arms shredded. But getting picked up and loved on like a puppy? He dreads it.
This thread has been cracking me up y'all!
The picking up and holding thing has kind of worked for me. I have one that kinda likes to be carried around though so I was afraid he would start doing it so I WOULD pick him up lol.
I'm thinking it is defiantly a dominance thing. I have two drake calls. One would attack my toes then the other one would attack him wrestle him away from me but then run over to me . . and bite my toes. Lol. This started after I introduced new females. I think they were showing off! They have stopped now after several days of snuggles. Lol

Just wanna say, it’s 2021 and this info is still so helpful! I hatched my first Muscovy drake in July 2020 and he recently has started this behavior of biting/holding on. We just got him a girlfriend (borrowed from a friend) but I am definitely going to try being more assertive with him (of course not harmful, I’ve just realized that I’ve been to gentle and it’s encouraging the behavior) but for what it’s worth, when I hold his beak closed and a gentle hand around the neck to stop him wiggling away, if I hold it for long enough it’s like a full reset and he’ll just walk away wagging his tail and content as could be. The issue is he still charges at me so I think the “mounting” would be a good idea even still.

Back
Top Bottom