How to train young dog not to eat chickens?

a dead chicken tied to the dog?
Im sorry Im confused as to how this helps
Tying the chicken around the dogs neck without hurting the dog, the smell of the decaying chicken is suppose to deter the dog from killing chickens again. The farmer that told me this years ago was quite old at the time. As I was a work most of the time back then it became my last resort or just let the dogs kill the rest of the chickens as they were play toys.
It worked. The dogs did not bother the chickens ever again.
The dogs and chickens lived together for along time and never had problems, than I guess the dogs figured it was fun to chase them and kill them. This is going back over 40 years ago when I did this, times have changed. Underground electric fencing, shock collars, etc etc. There is much more tools on the market today.

Greetings all, first I must apologize for this question actually being more applicable to a dog training website than a chicken forum, but I have used this website to answer so many previous questions before, I just hope someone will have encountered a similar problem and has found solutions!
Anyways; I have a small farm with free ranging chickens and ducks. Three months ago, I brought home a little mixed breed puppy as a companion for my guard dog, Luka. I was so happy to see she had absolutely no interest in any of our many animals we keep i.e chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats... The exception being that she and the cat are in love and spend most days cuddling and wrestling.
All was fine for three months! I would leave the animals free ranging when I went off the farm and come home to no trouble. Then one day we come home to the feathery remains of a young Mascovy duck, completely devoured. And she, chewing on the gizzard. Well... I tried to tell myself stories. Maybe a fox came, killed it and ran? Or an eagle? A stray dog perhaps? But after the second... now third time. She has been caught in the act. She kills quickly and quietly. She doesn't mess around chasing anyone. She gets calmly very close to the flock, which somehow has no fear of her and BAM! And she quickly eats the whole bird.
Before and even now, she never ever chased any animal. She never even gave them a considering look . After the first event, we always made sure to lock the birds up in their pen before leaving her alone on the farm. But now she has been bold enough to do it carefully right under our noses.
She is a mixed breed dog. Maybe some german shephard and 100 other things.
Our senior dog, Luka, is also a mix. She had some chasing problems in her puppyhood, and even managed to kill a rabbit. But with a lot of training and discipline, she has never done so again. She also didnt eat the rabbit... she only had the desire to chase, which seems a very common instinct for most dogs.
I am just so perplexed as to what to do, when the puppy(named Poppy) wont display this killing nature in front of us, so we can't be there to reprimand her. And she has no interest in the birds every other day. She really does it to feed herself! But we always make sure she has food available.
Hope someone has had a similar story and could give some advise, I would really appreciate it!

In the photos, she is the smaller light brown dog. And these are the ducks she is slowly picking off.
Many years ago my mother had the same issues with her 3 dog all were about 60 lbs or larger. If we were outside the dogs would stare at the ducks but only go after them if we were not present. The first time they killed just one duck, My mom was HOT! The second time the dogs killed 3 duck. Here's what happened, she put all three dogs in one run and went down to get the ducks. She brought them to the kennel and went in with the dogs and began to rant and rave chased the dogs yelling and even throwing the dead ducks at them. All the while telling them how bad they were. Letting them out of the run, two of the dogs wouldn't even look ,but the older female, she was a catahula leopard went down towards the lake and the ducks.My mom went out the back door and when she got ahold of the dog she grabbed the dead ducks and tied it to the back of the dogs head for two days. After that the dogs would not even go to that end of the pond, even when called.
From them on if she thought the dogs were in mischief, she would go out the back door by waving a dish towel and the dogs would think it was a duck, while running under the front porch. Needless to say after that we never lost an animal. It sounds harsh but it works. That was 52 years ago, a different time. Sometime the old ways work for generations

Many years ago my mother had the same issues with her 3 dog all were about 60 lbs or larger. If we were outside the dogs would stare at the ducks but only go after them if we were not present. The first time they killed just one duck, My mom was HOT! The second time the dogs killed 3 duck. Here's what happened, she put all three dogs in one run and went down to get the ducks. She brought them to the kennel and went in with the dogs and began to rant and rave chased the dogs yelling and even throwing the dead ducks at them. All the while telling them how bad they were. Letting them out of the run, two of the dogs wouldn't even look ,but the older female, she was a catahula leopard went down towards the lake and the ducks.My mom went out the back door and when she got ahold of the dog she grabbed the dead ducks and tied it to the back of the dogs head for two days. After that the dogs would not even go to that end of the pond, even when called.
From them on if she thought the dogs were in mischief, she would go out the back door by waving a dish towel and the dogs would think it was a duck, while running under the front porch. Needless to say after that we never lost an animal. It sounds harsh but it works. That was 52 years ago, a different time. Sometime the old ways work for generations
People will think I'm wrong for saying this, no doubt, but I don't think traumatising an animal is the best way to teach them a boundary.

Back
Top Bottom