How to transition the chicks to the coop?

Ken3

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Folks -

My first post, but I've been lurking and learning a huge amount for the past few months. This is a wonderful site. Anyhow - I'm just about finished building the coop for the chicks which have been living in a large cardboard box in my daughter's room. I'm wondering if there needs to be any prolonged transition to the coop, or if I just put them in and let them get used to it. I don't want to stress them if I can avoid it. They've only been outside perhaps 3 times for a few hours each time because the weather has been so rainy. Other than that, it's been the box for their home.

I don't know how old the chicks were when we got them, I just went to Tractor Supply, and in the hubbub of my two kids going nuts over getting the chicks, I forgot to ask. We've had them for about 7 weeks, one died along the way for no apparent reason, but the others seem pretty healthy. I don't know the breeds - they were just labeled as "pullets" and "red pullets". Did I mention it was a little chaotic at the time of purchase?
big_smile.png

All thoughts and advice appreciated. We've gotten very fond of these chickens, and want to take care of them well. Thanks -

Ken
Granby, CT

7 weeks is old enough, especially at this time of the year. Just put them in the coop with food and water for a couple hours at a time. I put mine out in the coop one day, left them in for about 30 minutes to let them get used to it, also the make sure they ate and drank(making sure they knew where food and water were.) Then I opened the door and let them come out.

welcome-byc.gif

You can always post pics, and people can help give you an idea on age and breed. That's what I would do. As far as moving in the coop- chickens hate change, so I would do it once, and get it over with- they will hate it, but they will adjust in a few days. Just be prepared for whiney babies!
roll.png

Quote:
Hi Ken and Welcome!! This site is amazing for any information that you may need and sometimes you even find info that you never knew that you needed. I have nine new bantams that were in my three season room with a lamp for heat. The dust became way too much for me and the coop was finally finished so in they went! There was no transition but they are only in the coop as the run is not done yet. That project is this weekend
smile.png
They still have their light if the temps are below 75 degrees and they are loving the skylight and all the room with multiple perches for play. They were very nervous but it didn't last long, maybe an hour in the corner and then some fun!!

With my 11 pullets, they were about 4 or 5 weeks old. We just set them into the coop near their food and water dishes. At first, I was worried, they just huddled in a corner. However, after a few hours, they started exploring the roosts and the floor space. By day 2, they were happy as larks about their bigger space. We have just started letting them come and go from the coop yesterday after being in the coop for about a week or so. They haven't quite figured out that they should go back in the coop at dusk.

At seven weeks plus they should have lots of feathers and be okay inside their coop, they will snuggle together if they are cold. Mainly they need to be dry and out of the wind. I had my chicks day ranging for a while before they were in the coop overnight but catching them to bring them in was a three ring circus. When I first put them in the coop, they did not understand that they needed to go upstairs to roost. I have an ark style coop. I thought they would definitely be too cold in the run section overnight so I threw a canvas tarp over the whole shebang just to break the wind (thanks, painters). After the first night one of them figured out to go upstairs to sleep and the third night they all slept there. They were very happy to finally be outside and not have me chasing them to catch them and carry them back in the house. You might let them run around Saturday and Sunday outside while you're around and then, if they are happy, let them sleep in the coop Sunday night.

HI My first response, (who'd have thought!), am a newbie too and mine are now 6 weeks tomorrow. All of last week, i've let them spend an increasing hour per day time in an open pen out on the lawn, appropriately covered. Last two days they've spent their day time in the run, but in the enclosed pen made up of dpg kennel panels about 2 feet high.

Tomorrow I plan on locking them in the coop with enough food and water. The water is a bit tricky, make sure its either hung or that they cannot get on top of it. It toppled yesterday because someone jumped on top of the water container, and they were without water for about an hour.

My plan is to lock them in day and night for two nights and then open the pop door to the run area.
Hopefully just two days is sufficient for them to march up the ramp at night.

hope this helps.

My chicks are just 3 weeks but I am thinking ahead. Before moving out to the coop do I wean of the heat lamp altogether? At this point I am able to shut the lamp off during the day. They are down to about 75 degrees give or take (they have never liked it as warm as the recommendations. Do I want to get the to the point of not needing the lamp at night too?

HI My first response, (who'd have thought!), am a newbie too and mine are now 6 weeks tomorrow. All of last week, i've let them spend an increasing hour per day time in an open pen out on the lawn, appropriately covered. Last two days they've spent their day time in the run, but in the enclosed pen made up of dpg kennel panels about 2 feet high.

Tomorrow I plan on locking them in the coop with enough food and water. The water is a bit tricky, make sure its either hung or that they cannot get on top of it. It toppled yesterday because someone jumped on top of the water container, and they were without water for about an hour.

My plan is to lock them in day and night for two nights and then open the pop door to the run area.
Hopefully just two days is sufficient for them to march up the ramp at night.

hope this helps.
I am reading all these posts and thank you to all who share their experiences. My question is when I transition them to the coop, my plan was also to have them in the coop for 2 days so they get used to their home, it'll be 2nd week in August and the twmps here have been 90°to 95° during the day and 70° to 75° at night... is it too hot for them to be locked up in the coop in these temps? I want them to be comfortable.

I am reading all these posts and thank you to all who share their experiences. My question is when I transition them to the coop, my plan was also to have them in the coop for 2 days so they get used to their home, it'll be 2nd week in August and the twmps here have been 90°to 95° during the day and 70° to 75° at night... is it too hot for them to be locked up in the coop in these temps? I want them to be comfortable.

Put a thermometer in there now and see what the difference in temperature is inside the coop, and outside. If the temps are close, probably ok to lock them in the coop (absolutely check in on them throughout the day for signs of heat stress during that period), but if coop is hotter than outside, then no I would not lock them in. 95F is pretty toasty for chickens and can be close to fatal for birds that aren't in good health.

Back
Top Bottom