How to transport adult peafowl?

I was going to put a topper on the truck if I put it in the bed, but if I put it in the back seat of the big truck it'd be alright. I can wrap the crate with a sheet so he doesn't get stressed out with all the sights and what not.

I can take a photo of the bag tomorrow but is is just a woven nylon bag we get grain in from our local mill. As I said, I was going to use a crate but he said they are nervous and he would be afraid they would jump around and hurt themselves.
My crate is one of those plastic ones. I would think a blanket or dark sheet over the side slots would work well.

Sorry, I didn't keep the bag. He just cut a hole in one corner large enough for the pea to have his head out. When we put the pea in the bag, we put his head out and then wrapped the bag snuggly around his body. It seemed to reassure the pea. He laid on the floor looking around but didn't struggle at all.

Sorry, I didn't keep the bag. He just cut a hole in one corner large enough for the pea to have his head out. When we put the pea in the bag, we put his head out and then wrapped the bag snuggly around his body. It seemed to reassure the pea. He laid on the floor looking around but didn't struggle at all.
That's how I've seen people around here do it, but they also tape their legs and put a piece of tape around the bag to keep them from moving too much. Both peas I had dropped off at my house came in bags and were just fine.

peas in a bag
lau.gif

Yes, that is how it was explained to me. I thought it odd but with only 2 miles to go I wasn't going to say anything. They had done this before and I had not. Obviously, you went further and still had success. That is very reassuring to me.
clap.gif

Zazouse, you are funny!
lau.gif

What about a pillowcase with a hole cut in it? I've got the dog crate all set up, wrapped in a sheet and there's about six towels on the bottom for his comfort. :p But I could bring a bag or a pillow case too? I don't know...

Can I introduce him right away to my birds? The guy I'm getting him from said that he's in with some chicks that are as old as the ones I have and younger and he's fine, but I've never done this before, and my peas have never seen a pea bigger than them. Also, he'll want to be outside during the day I'm assuming, but the little guys don't go outside yet (only if it's a good day) so I don't know how I'd go about that...

Suggestions?

Thanks guys. :)

No, not free ranging. The babies are in the "coop" that has an attached 30'x40' pen. I don't think I'd be able to put him in the coop at night because I don't think he's tame. So should I build him a little shelter?

Here he is! He was a very good boy on the way home. :) No complaints and no mess! He's very sweet.

His name is Owen, he's an Opal Silver Pied, six years old. :) There's more pictures in the "Show Off Your Peas" thread.

Back
Top Bottom