How to transport chicks by car?

Carobean

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 11, 2008
(First-time chicken-person-to-be here!) I will be getting 4 chicks in a few weeks, to be delivered to a post office 6 hours away (as part of a larger batch to be shared with friends). Any ideas on how to transport my 4 happily and warmly home in my car? Am planning on getting them eating and drinking prior to the car trip. Would it be wiser to give them a day's rest or so between their long trip to the P.O. and the second trip in my car, or just get it over with as quickly as possible? How to keep them warm enough in a car?
Thanks!
Carol

I always have mine in a box, turn the heater up (uncomfortable for me, but not for them), and drive very carefully (no sudden stops & starts if possible).

I reckon in lieu of the heater bit, you could use a warmed up heating pad to place under the box the chicks are in or in the box with a towl covering it.

It's best to do all the transporting at once, don't wait.

I'm so glad you asked this question. I, too, was wondering the least stressful way to drive my little ladies home for 2 hours. I didn't know if I needed to keep them in the box Ideal hands to me or if I need a mini brooder with food and water. We have an electrical plug adaptor for our truck. Should I plug in a heating pad? I wonder, I wonder. I know I'm going to want to snuggle them all the way home. But what should we do, that's the question...
smile.png

Last edited:
I say go ahead and plug it in if you have the adapter for it.
smile.png

The box that Ideal ships in is just big enough to hold the chicks, there's not really any room for anything else. You wouldn't want to have a waterer in the box while you're driving anyways because of potentially drowning your chicks. Even a feeder could slide around during transportation. They don't necessarily have to eat when you pick them up, but they do need a drink of water if your drive home is going to be a long one.

I say just apply heat. They are going to be cold and stressed, and have no interest in food or water until they are warm and toasty. Once you get home, then get them food and water.

i'm so glad this post is here cause i have two little chicks that are 4-5weeks old and in the end of may i'm going to need to transport them in a motorhome for 11hours, and i'm probably going to have to disensemble the hutch cause it won't fit in the doors, should i just put them in a box? or would that be too cooped?

The day I got our chicks at the feed store, my son and I were headed out of town (1 1/2 hour drive) I lined the box with paper towels, and bought a few HandWarmer brand hand packs from WalMart (got them in the hunting and fishing department) and a baby washcloth (cause they are soft) they did just fine. I wrapped the handwarmers in the washcloth and they snuggled right up.

Back
Top Bottom