How to treat a ear infection? My rooster has it and I want to treat it.

FakhirKhan

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2021
My rooster has been yawning a lot lately and I think he have 3 diseases I suspect, and from what I have gather, it points mostly toward ear infection, you can read my full post about that here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ar-infection-please-help-me-find-out.1478551/

One of his ear is filled with yellow wax and the other one is blocked by which seems like black fur or something. If y'all can tell me how to open his blocked ear since I don't know about that too. From what I have gather about treating his ear infection, I need to soak his ears with little bit of water and then soak my q tip in water and clean his ears and then put neosporin, although I don't have that neosporin, I have something call lidossporin which is a medicine to help ear pain which family uses and both have sporin in the name so I guess that can be used too? it's seem both have same stuff in it, After cleaning, I need to pour neosporin in his ears once daily but I don't know for how long, I heard it takes 1 to 6 weeks for ear infection to go so do I keep pouring until he stop yawning? If I start pouring how do I know it's helping him or not, because if what I am using as a replacement for neosporin is not working I will need to know too, if let's say I get neosporin and I use it for 6 weeks and he hasn't stopped yawning, does that mean he have no ears infection and have any of the other 2 things I suspect or a ear infection that can't be cured by neosporin?
Here a picture of his ears: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=18S-8V5XOBAX2GJCvnuTRfqSYmbbRCcnv Ignore the other pictures they are for other diseases I suspect.

Last edited:
You can use hydrogen peroxide to gently clean his ears. If you don't have Neosporin you can use triple antibiotic ointment. There's nothing that you pour into his ears. Neosporin is an ointment. I would not use the Lidosporin as it more than likely contains lidocaine. Generally speaking those types of painkillers are not good for chickens.

You can use hydrogen peroxide to gently clean his ears. If you don't have Neosporin you can use triple antibiotic ointment. There's nothing that you pour into his ears. Neosporin is an ointment. I would not use the Lidosporin as it more than likely contains lidocaine. Generally speaking those types of painkillers are not good for chickens.
Lidosporin contain neomycin and polymyxin and hydrocortisone, that what I can find when I search in Google, are those stuff dangerous?

Polymyxin B Sulphate 10000IU/ml, Propylene Glycol 0.92ml, Lignocaine 50mg/ml

Also what do you mean by you don't need to pour in, isn't the mite inside the ear? I am using a drop which I think will go in and clean the mites if that what he have, if I don't see any difference in 7/8 days I will get that neosporin

This website:
https://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pha.../CPS-_(General_Monographs-_L)/LIDOSPORIN.html
lists lidocaine HCl as an ingredient of Lidosporin. If you ask your pharmacist for something similar without the painkiller they'll likely know of one.

I don't know a lot about chicken illness so I'm just sharing what I've found online:
Ear mites and ear infections can, but don't always, go together. Treatment for ear mite is either an insecticidal drop, such as Permethrin, or simple vegetable oil. Treatment for ear infection is some type of antibiotics- like the ear drops you have for your family but without the painkiller. If you don't have a triple antibiotic that you can apply (I agree that an ointment won't work inside the ear), iodine solution applied inside the ear can work.

A drop of Coconut oil in the ear will help dissolve wax, smother mites and because it has antibiotic properties will help with infection. 1 drop per day for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom