How to treat a severely infected wound from dog attack?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer Jane, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Farmer Jane

Farmer Jane New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Mississippi
    Three days ago one of our hens was attacked by a Beagle. We found her in the woods and didn't think she would make it through the night. Right away we cleaned the wound with peroxide and loaded it with vaseline. The next day we found more wounds and cleaned those too. The wound started to smell rotten so we decided to give her an epsom bath to make sure we didn't miss anything else and then put neosporin on. Now we've got a new problem...she's started to peck at her injuries.

I just don't know what to do at this point. It looks really bad, but I hate to put her down if there's a chance she could pull through. She can stand and hobbles around. She's eating and drinking too. What do you think. I can post a pic of the wound, but it's very graphic.

2. tashpotato

tashpotato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    Aww the poor thing! I'm not good with these things but I just want to say I hope she pulls through! x

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If it is truly infected then only antibiotics will help, not topical but oral or injectable antibiotics. Infection affects their whole body, not just the wound site. Cleaning helps but peroxide and vasoline are not sterile and could have contributed to an infection. A rotten smell, pus at the site etc signal infection. A vet visit, possibly a trip to the feed store if they sell meds is needed.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Applying Blu Koat to the wound (available at most farm stores) will cover the blood so she is less tempted to pick at it til you can get her treated. You could try either putting pennicillin (available at Randall Burkley Supply) or terramycin antibiotic (available at most poultry suppliers or hatcheries) in her water to clear the infection. Good luck!

5. Farmer Jane

Farmer Jane New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank you! I'm going to check tomorrow at the feed store for the Blu Koat and terramycin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by