How to treat Bumblefoot with no scab

marlimay1

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Hello there.. I am new to the community and I've had my flock for about 2 years now. I noticed about 3 days ago 1 of my hens was limping around and after closer inspection realized she has an abscess on the pad of her foot. I've googled and read all kinds of treatments however I haven't seen much on what to do if there is no scab on the abscess. I've also read about sugardine and it just left me with more questions lol. Can sugardine be used pre surgery and does surgery always have to be done? I am currently treating her with 1ml tylan 50 a day for 5 days and today is day 3 of the antibiotic. Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏 ty!! 😊

A picture of the foot would be helpful here so we can see what's going on.

I have treated chickens where the bumblefoot was entirely enclosed. It might be the case that there was a scab to begin with, but she didn't start to limp until it had already progressed. In my experience, it can take a while for them to start limping.

It is also possible that her foot could be swollen due to something else such as a sprain or strain. It's difficult to tell without being able to see the foot.

Here are a few pics... I've also been soaking it in iodine once a day, wrapping with a vetericyn soaked gauze and neosporin. Today was the 1st day I notice a small dimple on the bump. Im not sure when but she also lost the tip of one toe.. I noticed this when I found the abscess about a week ago. She was getting ornery and I was not able to get a picture of the top of her foot but I will post one soon. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 20230219_131104.jpg
    20230219_131104.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230219_131117.jpg
    20230219_131117.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230219_131125.jpg
    20230219_131125.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 2
It does look possible that a scab healed over a core of pus, though I've never dealt with that myself. If you can feel a hardish lump in the pad I think it would be easiest to make a small cut over it and squeeze it out. You might be able to eventually get it out with a lot of soaking, but besides taking a long time it also softens the skin of the whole foot making it more painful for her to walk on and increasing the likelihood that she will get another cut when her foot is no longer wrapped. You might be able to use those doughnut shaped corn pads you can get in the pharmacy to help press out the infection. I usually use them to keep pressure off of healing scabs, but it also can help push any pus from the edges of her foot pad to the center.

I would try the betadine plus sugar treatment (sugardine) you have been using for another week or so. Wrap it in a dressing and leave it on for 3 days, then reapply.

Back
Top Bottom