How to treat coryza (or something like it) in quail???

OK!

Nutritional Deficiencies

1. Protein (amino acid) deficiency..................reduced growth, rough feathering
2. Vitamin D deficiency.......................rickets, severe weakness in bones, soft pliable beaks and claws
3. Vitamin E Deficiency...................... uncoordinated gait, backward or downward twisting of neck and forced movements
4. Vitamin A Deficiency......................stuntiness (stoppage of growth), weakness, drowsiness and ruffled feathers
5. Vitamin K Deficiency......................hemmorages on breast, legs or wings
6. Thiamin (B1) deficiency........................................loss of weight, ruffled wings, weakness in legs, unsteady gait
7. Riboflavin( B2) deficiency.....................................good appetite but slow growth, dirarrea and toes curled inward when walking
8. Pantothenic Acid Deficiency.............................crusty sores in corners of mouth, eyelids stuck together, sloughing off of skin on legs and toes and broken feathers
9. Nicotinic Acid Deficiency (niacin).......................enlargement of hocks and bowing of legs, diarrea and poor feathering
10. Pyridoxine (vitamin B6).............................jerky movement, poor appetite, poor growth, convulsions
11. Biotin Deficiency...........................same as pantothenic acid deficiency symptoms
12. Folic Acid Deficiency...................... anemia, very poor feathering and slipped tendon
13.Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) Deficiency...............................slipped tendon and slow growth

Those are nutritional disorders that can be mistaken for disease. Treatable.

Treatable diseases:

Infectious Bronchitis...common cold among fanciers... sulmet can be used to treat, Have bird in heated area (heat lamp), no medication is required and the birds usually recover on their own (sulmet does help in my opinion)

Aspergillosis... caused by mold, nasal and eye discharge....clean bedding thoroughly and isolate harmed birds.

Those are some things I can think at the moment. Most diseases are heavy culling if your flock has it but if you have sanitary conditions, they really shouldn't be an issue. Coryza is serious as well as other mycoplasmas because you really can't get them out of their symptoms.....I like to go through the possibilities before considering culling...considering the symptoms. Sometimes the common cold presents itself in odd ways too.

only one way to see if this is it or not ask the question:

have you ever had it before in a flock of birds? if so then you still have it around ...if not then do as she suggested but honestly looking at the pictures i believe you have Coryza

That photo was not Laughinggull's photo. It was a photo taken by a BYCer a while back. Since then, no new photos have been added to show us.

Quote:
I HAD HOPED FOR BETTER ALEX....

NO NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES ARE ABLE TO CAUSE PERIORBITAL EDEMA
NOR IS ASPERGILLOSIS
AND COVEY RISE IS CORRECT INFECTIOUS BRONCHITIS IS NOT A QUAIL DISEASE. QUAIL BRONCHITIS IS MORE SPECIFICALLY A BOB WHITE AILMENT AND IT DOES NOT CAUSE THE SINUS INVOLVEMENT EITHER.... WHAT ELSE YA GOT?

AND YOU'RE INCORRECT, BIRDS WILL SURVIVE "CORYZA" WHICH IT'S ACTUALLY MYCOPLASMA GALLISEPTICUM AS THE REAL CORYZA IS A CHICKEN ONLY DISEASE. SHORT STORY LONG--- SOME MAY SURVIVE IT AND SHOW NO OUTWARD SIGNS OF HAVING HAD IT EVER... EITHER THEY DIE IN SHORT ORDER OR THEY MAKE IT. THE POINT HERE IS THE SEVERITY OF IT AS WELL AS ODDITY. IT'S QUITE EASILY NOTED BECAUSE SO FEW ILLNESSES MAY REPLICATE THE SIGNS OF MG. AND THE 1'S THAT CAN ARE ALSO MUCH BAD JUJU SO IT'S KINDA A MOOT POINT. TO PLAY WITH THIS IN A BREEDING FLOCK IS SLIGHTLY MORE DANGEROUS THAN HANDING A DRUNKEN MONKEY A LOADED ASSAULT RIFLE AND STEALING HIS LAST BANNANA. MAKE NO MISTAKE, I TOO LIKE TO BE VERY THROUGH BEFORE TAKING A LIFE. JUST SOMETHINGS REALLY STICK OUT BY THEMSELVES

Last edited:
Way to show support to your BYCers
wink.png

Hey All, thanks for the interesting info and opinions shared. Yikes, so many things that can go wrong with birds from lack of nutrition to so many diseases. Quail lady was right that was not a pic of my bird- but in response to Model A it does look similar except that my bird looks a lot worse. The up side is that after two days of baytril, anti-inflamitory, and antibiotic eye ointment dear Minka's eyes are open (deep in their swollen sockets) and this morning she wolfed down her meal worms with breakfast and tried to fly out of her hospital cage so I think there is some hope. No more symptoms in the rest of my flock for now (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Back
Top Bottom