How to treat quail leg that went red and swollen?

Emquails

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone, happy new year 2021!!

Hope everyone doing fine. I am here needed some advise on my quail illness. One of my quail had been bullied by male quail which she doesn't want to be mount up. She brutally peck on her head and once she nearly blind. How ever she survive and I move her to her own cage once I saw her condition. Few weeks ago I notice she didn't move around much. At first I thought could be cold and she always fluff up to keep warm. There's once I change her cage which suprisingly flooded with water under her hay, apparently it gets rain on during 4 days I went away. I took her inside and do special treatment which I give a nice warm bath to keep her feet warm. I retract the scaps on one of her leg and put antiseptic then I bandage it. While the other leg seems to be swollen up and just waiting to burst. I don't do much on that leg just apply antiseptic and leave it like that. Apparently the quail manage to stand on the one that bandage leg more however she seems scootching more on her belly which barely any feather left on it now.
In term of food, she still eat anything, the gamebird seeds, I give her hard boiled egg, and mix of scrap vegetables and garlic.

Appreciate your advise . Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20201231_212732318.jpg
    PXL_20201231_212732318.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 68
That looks like an infection. Can you check with a vet for antibiotics?
I haven't visit the vet yet to be honest. Perhaps I should. It's been 4days now and it seems the swollen leg calmer now from last time.

As far as I know, garlic does not harm Chicken and Quail.
Maybe other birds, ... but I have quail treats from professionel sources which contain garlic.

Edit: it is dried garlic

As far as I know, garlic does not harm Chicken and Quail.
Maybe other birds, ... but I have quail treats from professionel sources which contain garlic.

Edit: it is dried garlic
That's good to know. I gave her fresh garlic though.

Just an update. Despite of her swollen leg, she seems to like being massage. She eventually put her head like resting on the edge . Not sure if she actually like me doing that or just held herself up.

Attachments

• PXL_20210103_144453622.jpg
    PXL_20210103_144453622.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210103_151503074.jpg
    PXL_20210103_151503074.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom