How to treat.....

Wil781

Songster
Apr 29, 2018
Central Alabama
I have a 6 month Golden Comet pullet who has been off her feed for 2 days. She is a little mopey still out most of the time with sisters but to herself. I thought maybe she was egg bound due to drop in eggs so I checked her for a stuck egg, no egg stuck. I put a board down over the poop board so I could catch poop before it hit the PDZ and this poop doesn't look normal, I don't know if I should treat with Corrid for sure or not: here is a pic
IMG_1172.JPG I see no blood but the yellow looks like egg. If treating with Corrid should I discard eggs?

Last edited:
I have a 6 month Golden Comet pullet who has been off her feed for 2 days. She is a little mopey still out most of the time with sisters but to herself. I thought maybe she was egg bound due to drop in eggs so I checked her for a stuck egg, no egg stuck. I put a board down over the poop board so I could catch poop before it hit the PDZ and this poop doesn't look normal, I don't know if I should treat with Corrid for sure or not: here is a pic
View attachment 1523525 I see no blood but the yellow looks like egg. If treating with Corrid should I discard eggs?

What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do they have a source of grit (crushed granite) available?
How long have you had her?

You lost one a few weeks ago, I'm not sure if it could be related or not. I would re-check that crop when she goes to bed to see if she had eaten anything, then feel of it again first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty.

The poop is not normal, so getting a fecal float is a very good idea. You could treat for Coccidiosis, the Corid won't hurt her and there is no egg withdrawal for Amprolium.

What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do they have a source of grit (crushed granite) available?
How long have you had her?

You lost one a few weeks ago, I'm not sure if it could be related or not. I would re-check that crop when she goes to bed to see if she had eaten anything, then feel of it again first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty.

The poop is not normal, so getting a fecal float is a very good idea. You could treat for Coccidiosis, the Corid won't hurt her and there is no egg withdrawal for Amprolium.
I raised her from a day old chick. I feed them Purinia Grower fermented and dry and occasionally some scratch, i also sprout lentils, clover, mung beans, etc., my girls can't free range because of neighborhood dogs. I also give them grit. I did loose her sister a couple weeks ago to sour crop. This hen had a flat crop but now today she has started eating. So you think I should start them on Corrid? I believe the dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of cool water. I will call my vet in the morning to see if he can do a fecal float for me.

I raised her from a day old chick. I feed them Purinia Grower fermented and dry and occasionally some scratch, i also sprout lentils, clover, mung beans, etc., my girls can't free range because of neighborhood dogs. I also give them grit. I did loose her sister a couple weeks ago to sour crop. This hen had a flat crop but now today she has started eating. So you think I should start them on Corrid? I believe the dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of cool water. I will call my vet in the morning to see if he can do a fecal float for me.
Try getting a fecal float first, if possible.

You are correct - Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water.

Keep us posted.

Try getting a fecal float first, if possible.

You are correct - Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water.

Keep us posted.
She is acting a little off again today, I gave them all a separate waterer with probiotics along with there regular water. I don't understand this yellow stringy stuff in her poop is this her urine? Anyway I called the vet he is giving me a wormer for her when I asked about a fecal float they said they don't offer it (strange I think). I really don't want to worm them unless they have worms. So anyway I didn't start the Corrid but thinking maybe I should? I need advise please...

IMG_1173.JPG This her poop from overnight. It just occurred to me what. The yellow stringy stuff reminds me of an egg that was boiled and cracked and the yolk was boiled

Last edited:
She is acting a little off again today, I gave them all a separate waterer with probiotics along with there regular water. I don't understand this yellow stringy stuff in her poop is this her urine? Anyway I called the vet he is giving me a wormer for her when I asked about a fecal float they said they don't offer it (strange I think). I really don't want to worm them unless they have worms. So anyway I didn't start the Corrid but thinking maybe I should? I need advise please...

View attachment 1524613 This her poop from overnight. It just occurred to me what. The yellow stringy stuff reminds me of an egg that was boiled and cracked and the yolk was boiled
What is the name of the wormer he prescribed?
What do you feed your pullets?
Have you ever had a respiratory illness in your flock (coughing, sneezing, wheezing, watery eyes, mucous)?

The poop is not normal. It could be worms, coccidiosis, infection, sign of reproductive disorder - it's hard to know.
Have you given her a once over, feeling of the abdomen for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid? Cup your hand under the vent and between the legs and compare her to a couple of the other girls her age.

I probably would deworm her and treat for Coccidiosis - whether that will correct what is going on with her, time will tell.

Since she is a Golden Comet, she may already have some reproductive problems, it's not unheard of at that age. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, ascites, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis and internal laying are unfortunately common in laying hens.

Keep her eating/drinking, check the crop each morning. If you decide to treat her for worms and Coccidiosis, offer vitamins and probiotics after you finish the course of treatment.
http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

The vet gave me ivermectin pour on 4 to 8 drops to back of her neck. Can I treat with Corrid and ivermectin at the same time? Should I discard eggs while treating?

The droppings have urates that look yellow. I would worry about a reproductive disorder, as Wyorp Rock has suggested, or possible liver disease. Is she overweight or does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? But I agree with treating with Corid for possible coccidiosis first. Worming is good. I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for worming, but don’t see any reason that you cannot use the Corid and the ivermectin at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom