How to treat.....

What is a good antibiotic to keep on hand and do you have to have prescription for one?
While it may seem like a good idea to have antibiotics on hand, you need to know what you are going to treat. For instance injuries you can use Penicillin or Amoxicillin, for respiratory illness Tylan50 is probably best. For a heavy hitter that might take care of most things Baytril may be the way to go - but you do need to consider that most antibiotics are not approved for use in poultry and/or there is an egg/meat withdrawal - each medication would need to be researched to find the appropriate timeline that you are comfortable with. You also need to think about who is going to consume the eggs/meat - is anyone going to be allergic to the meds you are giving. IF you sell your eggs or you have a family member that is sensitive to medications, it would be wise to make sure you throw the eggs away.

Water soluble medications are prescription only. In some states all antibiotics have to be prescribed by a vet. In others, you can still find Tylan50 and Penicillin in most feed stores. You can also look to see what's available online, some people order fish antibiotics.

While it may seem like a good idea to have antibiotics on hand, you need to know what you are going to treat. For instance injuries you can use Penicillin or Amoxicillin, for respiratory illness Tylan50 is probably best. For a heavy hitter that might take care of most things Baytril may be the way to go - but you do need to consider that most antibiotics are not approved for use in poultry and/or there is an egg/meat withdrawal - each medication would need to be researched to find the appropriate timeline that you are comfortable with. You also need to think about who is going to consume the eggs/meat - is anyone going to be allergic to the meds you are giving. IF you sell your eggs or you have a family member that is sensitive to medications, it would be wise to make sure you throw the eggs away.

Water soluble medications are prescription only. In some states all antibiotics have to be prescribed by a vet. In others, you can still find Tylan50 and Penicillin in most feed stores. You can also look to see what's available online, some people order fish antibiotics.
I was thinking that she may need an antibiotic, we have done the Corid and Ivermectin and no change. I have read that yellow urates could be E. coli or salmonella infection. I don't know if this could be it or not I'm just at this point grasping at straws trying to figure her illnes out.

Why is she still on grower food? Does she have oyster shell available? If she's not getting enough calcium, it could be that she had a soft shell egg break inside her.
My chickens don't like the laying pellets so they are on grower with oyster shell on the side. I have checked her for egg binding but no egg. I'm just reaching here trying to figure Ellie Mae's illness out

I was thinking that she may need an antibiotic, we have done the Corid and Ivermectin and no change. I have read that yellow urates could be E. coli or salmonella infection. I don't know if this could be it or not I'm just at this point grasping at straws trying to figure her illnes out.

Getting testing is always a good idea.
If that's not possible and you think that she may have E Coli or Salmonella get some Baytril and treat her.

Yellow urates can be from a number of things from infection to reproductive disorders to cancer.

So sorry about Ellie Mae.A liver issue is the first thing that comes to my mind. I have heard milk thistle is good for liver support. If you are going to try antibiotics anyway, I wonder if it would be worth trying milk thistle at the same time. I have no idea about dosing or if there would be contraindications. What do you think of this @Hen Pen Jem?

Getting testing is always a good idea.
If that's not possible and you think that she may have E Coli or Salmonella get some Baytril and treat her.

Yellow urates can be from a number of things from infection to reproductive disorders to cancer.
If she were your girl what would be your next step? I fed her some scratch only because she has lost a lot of weight and she ate pretty good.

Greetings Wil781,

Your hen's urates are yellow because her liver is stressed, the kidneys may be involved too. micstrachan is correct, Milk Thistle will help support the hen's liver and kidneys during her illness.

I don't think worms would cause her liver to stress. Usually when my hens or rooster have yellow urates, it is due to some infection. I don't like to worm a sick chicken, unless I know for sure with a fecal float test, that an infestation is also compromising the health. Any vet can do a fecal float test for you. Worm eggs are worm eggs, whether in a dog, cat or chicken. Even coccidia is identifiable in the same fecal float test. But, I sympathize with you, as, some vets do have strange views.

Back to your hen's issue. I suggest you administer a milk thistle product to your hen a.s.a.p. I use Liquid Hepato For Pets. This product also contains B vitamins to stimulate appetite. Dosage for your hen would be .3 mL, two times a day, till her urates return to cream or white color. This can be administered along with any antibiotic, antifungal, or alone.
liquid hepato.jpg
You may be able to purchase this from a local vet, or check local pet stores, or purchase online.

At six months of age, it's hard to know exactly what kind of infection the chicken has, if it is infection. But, just the support of Liquid Hepato may help her heal without antibiotics. You can also administer some Colloidal Silver, 20-30 ppm. This is sold at any health food store, and is a natural antibiotic.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings Wil781,

Your hen's urates are yellow because her liver is stressed, the kidneys may be involved too. micstrachan is correct, Milk Thistle will help support the hen's liver and kidneys during her illness.

I don't think worms would cause her liver to stress. Usually when my hens or rooster have yellow urates, it is due to some infection. I don't like to worm a sick chicken, unless I know for sure with a fecal float test, that an infestation is also compromising the health. Any vet can do a fecal float test for you. Worm eggs are worm eggs, whether in a dog, cat or chicken. Even coccidia is identifiable in the same fecal float test. But, I sympathize with you, as, some vets do have strange views.

Back to your hen's issue. I suggest you administer a milk thistle product to your hen a.s.a.p. I use Liquid Hepato For Pets. This product also contains B vitamins to stimulate appetite. Dosage for your hen would be .3 mL, two times a day, till her urates return to cream or white color. This can be administered along with any antibiotic, antifungal, or alone.
View attachment 1530057 You may be able to purchase this from a local vet, or check local pet stores, or purchase online.

At six months of age, it's hard to know exactly what kind of infection the chicken has, if it is infection. But, just the support of Liquid Hepato may help her heal without antibiotics. You can also administer some Colloidal Silver, 20-30 ppm. This is sold at any health food store, and is a natural antibiotic.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Thank you, I will try to find this locally and get started today

Last edited:
If she were your girl what would be your next step? I fed her some scratch only because she has lost a lot of weight and she ate pretty good.

I would be hard to know what next step I would take. I would give her a few more days to see if there is any improvement. IF I thought she had infection, I might try antibiotics to see if those would help, but each situation is different.

Has she laid any eggs since this began?

Back
Top Bottom