How to treat.....

The droppings have urates that look yellow. I would worry about a reproductive disorder, as Wyorp Rock has suggested, or possible liver disease. Is she overweight or does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? But I agree with treating with Corid for possible coccidiosis first. Worming is good. I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for worming, but don’t see any reason that you cannot use the Corid and the ivermectin at the same time.
Thank you for your response, the yellow looks like boiled egg yolk. She is not an over weight bird I don’t think I will post pic of her. I will check for enlarged abdomen when I get home and up date.
648660F4-5B6E-43E0-93D2-177E39D9E44B.jpeg

I did a necropsy this past year on a fairly skinny hen who had a ton of fat inside of her, and I thought she may have had fatty liver disease. But some other liver problem may cause yellow urates. As you said, some hens tend to have cooked egg material in their poop that can be from internal layin. Unfortunately, we don’t always find out until we can perform a necropsy. Most state vets will perform them if the body is kept refrigerated, not frozen.

The droppings have urates that look yellow. I would worry about a reproductive disorder, as Wyorp Rock has suggested, or possible liver disease. Is she overweight or does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? But I agree with treating with Corid for possible coccidiosis first. Worming is good. I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for worming, but don’t see any reason that you cannot use the Corid and the ivermectin at the same time.
Ok I checked her for enlarged lower body and it feels normal, I compared to my other hens. I put another board down over the PDZ under roost so I can collect another night of poop, she did eat before going to roost, she didn't pack her crop but she ate and is drinking good. I think I will go ahead and start with Corid in the morning. I understand there is no withholding of eggs due to Amprolium. I will post an update , thanks!

Ok I checked her for enlarged lower body and it feels normal, I compared to my other hens. I put another board down over the PDZ under roost so I can collect another night of poop, she did eat before going to roost, she didn't pack her crop but she ate and is drinking good. I think I will go ahead and start with Corid in the morning. I understand there is no withholding of eggs due to Amprolium. I will post an update , thanks!
Ok she about the same this morning, more down hill than yesterday I think, here are pictures of her nightly poop and what she looks like this morning, she ate a little this morning or at least was pecking at it. I'm just feeling very down right now, I lost one hen 2 weeks ago due to sour crop and looks like I may be loosing her.

IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1174.JPG
There was a bit of actual liquid on poop board today. Her comb is hanging over and I take this to be a not so good sign.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 10
Ok she about the same this morning, more down hill than yesterday I think, here are pictures of her nightly poop and what she looks like this morning, she ate a little this morning or at least was pecking at it. I'm just feeling very down right now, I lost one hen 2 weeks ago due to sour crop and looks like I may be loosing her.

View attachment 1525282 View attachment 1525280
There was a bit of actual liquid on poop board today. Her comb is hanging over and I take this to be a not so good sign.
:hugs Do your best to keep her hydrated. Since you did have a vet visit, but had no stool sample for her at the time, do you think they would take one now?

:hugs Do your best to keep her hydrated. Since you did have a vet visit, but had no stool sample for her at the time, do you think they would take one now?
They don't actually see chickens, he just has his own chickens and gave me some wormer the same one he uses on his chickens but he never saw her or me just left it at front desk and staff told me they don't do fecal floats on chickens, which I really don't understand because they do one on my dogs every time I take them for the yearly checkups, chicken vs dog fecal float I see no difference. I could have taken them the poop it's not like they had to collect it. Anyway this is so frustrating:he Ellie Mae is drinking on her own she is eating a little she went out and laid in the dirt like she was going to dust bathe but she just kinda hanging to herself. So if Corid or wormer doesn't fix her I guess there is nothing else to do.

They don't actually see chickens, he just has his own chickens and gave me some wormer the same one he uses on his chickens but he never saw her or me just left it at front desk and staff told me they don't do fecal floats on chickens, which I really don't understand because they do one on my dogs every time I take them for the yearly checkups, chicken vs dog fecal float I see no difference. I could have taken them the poop it's not like they had to collect it. Anyway this is so frustrating:he Ellie Mae is drinking on her own she is eating a little she went out and laid in the dirt like she was going to dust bathe but she just kinda hanging to herself. So if Corid or wormer doesn't fix her I guess there is nothing else to do.
I would try the corid and de-wormer. She may have some reproductive problems going on as well.

It is frustrating when they are not doing well, sometimes there is not much we can do but try to treat what we think may be happening, but often times we won't be able to find out much until they have passed and a necrospy is performed.

If you are near your state lab http://agi.alabama.gov/divisions/veterinary-diagnostic-labs
You might want to call them to see if they accept stool samples for testing. Each state is different so I don't know if that's possible.

I would try the corid and de-wormer. She may have some reproductive problems going on as well.

It is frustrating when they are not doing well, sometimes there is not much we can do but try to treat what we think may be happening, but often times we won't be able to find out much until they have passed and a necrospy is performed.

If you are near your state lab http://agi.alabama.gov/divisions/veterinary-diagnostic-labs
You might want to call them to see if they accept stool samples for testing. Each state is different so I don't know if that's possible.
Thank you I will try that!

Update on Ellie Mae: she is hanging with us, she eats a little, she must eat more than I think because she poops, the urates are still yellow but not as bright yellow so maybe that is a good thing. I did contact the diagnostic lab, they only do the necropsy and I have to drive the bird to them which it is only an hour and a half away one way which is no problem but like I told them I would prefer to not lose my pullet to find out what's wrong with her. Anyway I will update again hopefully with great news!

Back
Top Bottom