How to trim rooster spurs?

Please see attached photo with website.
Its an "outgrowth of the legbone" but doesnt really mean it is a bone or attached to the bone. It's just a matter of semantics, you both are correct.

But I am still looking for instructions or confirmation that pulling a spur is indeed a non-cruel way to cut spurs. When I cut them I just let them bleed. I really want to know more about how pulling them effects them vs cutting.
Perhaps contacting a vet that specializes in poultry to answer your question. I read “pull” and “bleed” and I think pain to the bird.

Perhaps contacting a vet that specializes in poultry to answer your question. I read “pull” and “bleed” and I think pain to the bird.
For where i live, i am the vet. Spurs have to be shortened sometimes when they are walking and the spurs rub their legs to the point of infection. I thought about it a bit more and I think it is too excessive to pull spurs and leave them with none. They feel a little pain when you cut the quick, but not too bad.

I think what folks mean when they are talking about "pulling spurs" is removing the outer sheath.
I DO think when the outer sheath is removed, the spur is sensitive. I've had roosters knock the outer sheath off (several times) and they indicate some discomfort but not to the point I personally feel they are dying of pain.

Do you have access to a dremel or cut off tool? This is a very efficient method of shortening spurs, the heat from the wheel also will cauterize, so any bleeding would be minimal. Dremel is what I use.

Hacksaw will work too, you'll need a helper.

Process of twisting off the outer sheath - "spur"

I think what folks mean when they are talking about "pulling spurs" is removing the outer sheath.
I DO think when the outer sheath is removed, the spur is sensitive. I've had roosters knock the outer sheath off (several times) and they indicate some discomfort but not to the point I personally feel they are dying of pain.

Do you have access to a dremel or cut off tool? This is a very efficient method of shortening spurs, the heat from the wheel also will cauterize, so any bleeding would be minimal. Dremel is what I use.

Hacksaw will work too, you'll need a helper.

Process of twisting off the outer sheath - "spur"
Thanks for the video. He even mentioned how to do the hot potato method, but twisting was easy enough. That video was very informative, and if they harden again this is a really good method. Better than my metal saw blade cutting it in half.

Thanks for the video. He even mentioned how to do the hot potato method, but twisting was easy enough. That video was very informative, and if they harden again this is a really good method. Better than my metal saw blade cutting it in half.
They will harden again and grow again.
It's going to bleed, probably ooze for a day or so.

I've never twisted them off, but it would be something I would consider doing if I didn't have the dremel. I personally would not try the hot potato method, I've seen a few people mention burning the bird, you don't want to do that.

Our last rooster pulled the sheath off one spir. It left a little nub like an undeveloped spur behind. By the time I saw it he seemed to have forgotten about it.

I once had a rooster sink his spur into my arm and leave three slivers of the sheath behind. It would never heal correctly until I poked around in there and pulled the slivers out almost a year later. I'm much more careful and sort of a whimp now.

Exactly.

Why do you want to remove the spur? Is it just something fun and sexy to do because you can? Have you read that you "need" to but don't know why? Or is there a specific problem you are trying to address. I'm not asking anybody specific, just something for people to think about. It's not just roosters, some hens can grow spurs that need to be adjusted. I have difficulty coming up with a problem that would require removing the entire sheath or the entire spur but you never know. In most cases removing the sharp point is sufficient to solve the problem. I suggest you don't do anything unless there is a real problem.

The spur has a quick in it. The quick does not go all the way to the end. If you just cut the tip off and don't go back to the quick it won't bleed and won't cause any pain to the chicken. That should solve most problems. But it's not usually easy to know exactly where the quick ends. It's a good idea to have some corn starch or flour to throw on it if needed to stop the bleeding. I use a Dremel tool with one of those discs you use to cut metal. On the very few occasions I've cut the quick it's only been a drop or two of blood, but I'm just trying to take the sharp point off. Not the whole thing. When I finish I put the rooster back in with the flock, no special aftercare. He mates with a hen or two so they know it is still his flock (since he was separated from the flock for a bit) then everything is back to normal. Even when I cut to the quick it's not a big deal.

The way I look at it any time you cause an injury that bleeds you've opened it up for a possible infection. I consider my way to be a really low risk, but not zero. It's a risk I'm willing to take if I have a real problem to solve.

Spurs have to be shortened sometimes when they are walking and the spurs rub their legs to the point of infection.

Why do you want to remove the spur? Is it just something fun and sexy to do because you can? Have you read that you "need" to but don't know why? Or is there a specific problem you are trying to address. I'm not asking anybody specific, just something for people to think about. It's not just roosters, some hens can grow spurs that need to be adjusted. I have difficulty coming up with a problem that would require removing the entire sheath or the entire spur but you never know. In most cases removing the sharp point is sufficient to solve the problem. I suggest you don't do anything unless there is a real problem.

I've read about sugar and cayenne pepper in human survival situations. Would those work as well?
Good points to think about @Ridgerunner I think in @Banana01 case, there's a "need" since spurs are rubbing the other leg. Sometimes spurs can also curve upward and get long enough to cause issues.

I keep my roosters separate, so don't trim spurs unless there's an issue. Those that I put with hens, I check nails and spurs and trim if needed to lessen potential damage to hens. I've had a hen sliced under the wing with a spur, accidents happen and she healed fine, but it might have been avoided if I had blunted his spurs in the first place.

Interesting concept of sugar and cayenne pepper. Might be something to research more. Sugar pack is used for open wounds, the pepper I don't know. I'm like the others, I usually have flour or cornstarch at hand for, so haven't really looked into other methods.

Back
Top Bottom