How to turn Marshmallows into Marshmallow Creme?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I've read online recipes that say just to melt the marshmallows & use them melted as you would creme & Other online recipes that say to melt so many marshmallows with corn syrup. But Don't marshmallows have corn syrup already added? I just don't want to add extra sweetness if it doesn't need it to become marshmallow creme.?
hmm.png
roll.png

I don't think I would add corn syrup. I believe you are correct that marshmallows contain corn syrup and they are already sweet enough. But, thinking how they melt up for Rice Krispie Bars, I think that method would give good results.
I don't think anything more is needed.

If you try it, please let us know how it works.

prairiegirl

Most experiences I had making marshmallow creme were a long time ago, but did not involve melting marshmallows. I YAHOOed marshmallow creme and got this recipe from Food Network. Believe me, if THEY post it it is goooooood...

Ingredients
6 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
4 large egg whites
Pinch salt
Pinch cream of tartar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Directions
In a small saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, bring the water, corn syrup and 3/4 cup sugar to 246 degrees.

In the meantime, in a completely clean, dry mixing bowl, with and electric mixer, whisk the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until creamy and foamy, about 2 minutes. Still whisking, sprinkle in the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue to whisk until the whites hold very soft peaks, about 2 minutes. While mixing on slow speed, carefully drizzle in the hot syrup. Turn the mixer to high and whisk until thick, fluffy and just warm, about 7 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and whisk in the vanilla.

But I also found this link to the creation of marshmallow creme. Coming from a family where my grandfather invented rolling chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream commercially into a "cake roll" I revere history, the start of things.

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/history1.html

As an old chef instructor used to tell us:
"I teach you this so you'll be smart
Besides, it makes interesting cocktail chatter..."

'Nite Folks

Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for all your info. But the recipe I was wanting to make was Goat Milk fudge (since I have a doe in milk
smile.png
). But the first recipe I tried didn't include any marshmallow creme or marshmallows & from following that recipe to a "T", I think I invented the "Goatmilk -Rock- Candy."
lol.png
hmm.png

So then I wanted to make the recipe on the ADGA.org website but had no marshmallow creme, just marshmallows. & it came out not setting when I added margarine along with the marshmallows, so marshmallows alone is prob what was needed. So needless to say I got marshmallow creme this wkend & made the ADGA.org recipe & it came out exactly like it was supposed to (Hubby tested & approved
wink.png
). Thank goodness for a steady supply of milk.
wink.png
Thanks for all your info though.
smile.png

I don't think I would add corn syrup. I believe you are correct that marshmallows contain corn syrup and they are already sweet enough. But, thinking how they melt up for Rice Krispie Bars, I think that method would give good results.
I don't think anything more is needed.

If you try it, please let us know how it works.

prairiegirl
You're right. I was looking for a recipe to make a marshmallow filling for cookies. With all the sweetness already in the cookies and the marshmallows, (not to mention the thin layer of Nutella I plan to spread on) is way too sweet. I'm just going to melt the marshmallows with unsalted butter as I would with crispy treats. Good thinking on your part.
Thank you, Regards from Ushie

Back
Top Bottom