How to turn the bare dirt run into a planted run

Jaiyun

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
I know there must be plants out there that can survive a chicken run. I want vines on the fence to provide shade and I'd love if they produced food for my girls to snack on. I would love to start varieties of greens that will seed. My hens are typically only confined to the run in the winter and most take advantage of the open door from morning till night through the summer. So it is now that I need to try to get something started.

So any ideas about plants would be great!!

Thanks.

I'd recommend grape vines. They provide great shade and constant forage for about six months a year where I live. Plus, we get fresh grapes and make raisins.

Here's a list of plants successfully grown in the runs of other BYC'ers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22588 Pretty much anything you plant will need protection, at least at first. Also, where you live will determine, in part, what you can plant.

You can see more pics of my run on my byc page.
56638_coop82010sideview.jpg

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Someone posted a while back with pictures , they put (i think) hardware cloth slightly above the ground and seeded. This way, greens could grow up under the wire just enough where the chooks could eat the tops without killing the greens. If you did something like this and blocked it off to go to seed on a rotating basis it might work, otherwise you will be the one seeding.

Yes ..build raised garden beds with railroad ties or whatever and cover with wire so they cant scratch it all out but can eat the tops of whatever you plant when they poke up through the wire.

Back
Top Bottom