How to use Chicken droppings as fertilizer?

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Hi there.

I have chicken droppings mixed with wood shavings from my coop. I am wondering how to incorporate this (or if I can) into my vegetable garden for fertilizer? How long does it have to sit? Can I put it in the soil right away? Will the woodchips decompose in the soil or will they hurt the plants? Etc.

Any thoughts?
J.

Chicken poo is very rich in nitrogen which is AWESOME for a garden...I don't think that there is a certain amount of time it has to sit before you can put it into your garden...Whenever I'm cleaning out the coop I just put the old litter in a wheelbarrow and haul it straight to the garden or compost bin and put it down....

Collin.

Chicken manure is too "hot" to apply directly to your garden. Mine is mixed with shavings, too. I compost the manure/shavings mix with shredded fall leaves and green grass clippings. You don't need a fancy composter, just make a pile about 3 feet high, and turn it every other day or so. I find the chicken manure makes the pile "cook" much faster than usual, which is great. It will heat up in the center- get very hot, even turn whitish. When it's no longer hot, and all crumbly looking, you can till into your garden or side-dress your veggies. I used mine in muck buckets, mixed with soil, and grew the best potatoes ever.

my dad spreads it straight on his fields with no problem. some times it sits for a couple months other times it goes on after only a few days to a few weeks.

due to the high nirogen in fresh chicken manure, you make get good growth of part of your crop, but not the part you want to harvest. I would not use it too fresh, nitrogen is only part of the N-P-K ratio of fertilizer. For good info on fertilizers and compost, visit organicgardening.com and read the "over the fence" board under discussions. You could spread it on your garden off-season, and till it in before planting, thus giving it time to age. I would not top-dress or side-dress active crops with hot chicken manure, though.

We just put ours on the garden about 2 weeks ago, and when the garden drys out it will be tilled under. My inlaws have done that for 30yrs and they have a beautiful garden each year. It wont' hurt the plants that way; but it will if you put it directly by the plants. Like the other people said.

Resurrecting this thread with a few more questions....

Is there a risk of disease in using chicken litter as fertilizer? Obviously I watch too much House....but the episode with the boy that gets histoplamosis in his backyard because there used to be a chicken farm there years and years ago...well, it has me freaked out.

Back
Top Bottom