How to use heating plate?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
After some consideration I bought the Ecoglow 600 heating plate for my 3 5-day old chicks! I preheated the plate for an hour before turning off the heat lamp. I raised the legs at various heights of about 2-3in from the ground. Will they go underneath the heating plate on their own? I'm scared that they won't know what to do if their too cold. This is my first time using a heating plate.

Edit: The chicks wandered in themselves and are now sleeping underneath it!

Last edited:
As you have seen, they figure it out pretty quickly. All my chicks naturally seem to self regulate their temperate by moving closer or further away as needed.
Yea, my 9 week olds still hadnt used the roosting bar and without an adult chicken to learn from, i was at a loss thinking they would be sleeping in a cuddle puddle forever! One night they were all up and roosting. I wonder still who gave them the memo that roosting higher up is better!

After some consideration I bought the Ecoglow 600 heating plate for my 3 5-day old chicks! I preheated the plate for an hour before turning off the heat lamp. I raised the legs at various heights of about 2-3in from the ground. Will they go underneath the heating plate on their own? I'm scared that they won't know what to do if their too cold. This is my first time using a heating plate.

Edit: The chicks wandered in themselves and are now sleeping underneath it!
Just trying the heat plate now for the first time with chicks. Some are under it and some sleeping around the edges. Seems to he working better than a heatlamp

Back
Top Bottom