How to use wazine to deworm flock

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
So I am going to start deworming my flock tomorrow but am very disappointed with the directions that came with wazine. Can someone please explain to me what I should do with it? I know you put it in their water, but for how long? Also, do you need to use probiotics after? And also I have read that you have to follow up with another medicine but I'm not sure the whole story behind that either. So, I really need a lot of help! Thank you for any and all help!!

So I am going to start deworming my flock tomorrow but am very disappointed with the directions that came with wazine. Can someone please explain to me what I should do with it? I know you put it in their water, but for how long? Also, do you need to use probiotics after? And also I have read that you have to follow up with another medicine but I'm not sure the whole story behind that either. So, I really need a lot of help! Thank you for any and all help!!
For large roundworms add one ounce (30 ml) per gallon. Provide medicated water for one day. Repeat in 10-14 days.

Farmer Connie - Any recommendations?
I use sulmet. Only because my vet gave it to me.
I trust her decisions. I heard it is rough on kidneys though. But parasites are deadly.
t IMG_20170705_130405.jpg

I use sulmet. Only because my vet gave it to me.
I trust her decisions. I heard it is rough on kidneys though. But parasites are deadly.
Sulmet in an antibiotic, not a wormer. It's used to treat some bacterial infections and some strains of coccidiosis, but it will not kill worms.

Sulmet in an antibiotic, not a wormer. It's used to treat some bacterial infections and some strains of coccidiosis, but it will not kill worms.
Now that you mentioned it, she gave this to us in conjunction with cydectin for our goats.
IMG_20170627_115041.jpg
She also said to use the sulmet with the poultry if needed.
I didn't remember the treatment details until you brought it to my attention. Thank you!
It was Fenbendazole (safe-gaurd) she treated our birds with.
Thanks for the gentle correction! It was 2:30 am and I was burning the midnight oil on the second day of a hatch. I am getting too old for this!:lau
Thank you @casportpony :)

For large roundworms add one ounce (30 ml) per gallon. Provide medicated water for one day. Repeat in 10-14 days.
Thank you!! So just use it for one day, return to normal water, then use it for one day again? No probiotics or any other medication?

I am not starting on it quite yet as I brought a fecal sample in to my vet so I am waiting to hear back about what type of worm they think we have.

Thank you!! So just use it for one day, return to normal water, then use it for one day again? No probiotics or any other medication?

I am not starting on it quite yet as I brought a fecal sample in to my vet so I am waiting to hear back about what type of worm they think we have.
Actually when I was looking at the treating for worms, I read alot on BYC and its recommended to start with Wazine because it gets rid of the roundworms first and then followup with something like Ivermectin to kill all other worms. They said using Ivermectin first could overload your chickens systems with too many dead worms (I'm pretty sure that was how it was stated....or something close to that). Be sure to put Wazine in a glass container or at least not a metal container. Not sure about plastic. But you could use a glazed crock bowl, too. I put the Wazine and water in casserole dishes I bought at Goodwill and then put in pen with chickens and locked them up all day until next morning so they only had that water to drink. Some people talked about adding sugar or other things because their hens didn't like the taste. Someone, expert like, had a great post on dosage and some people just didn't seem to be getting the dosage and were using too much so the water was tasting extremely bitter and their hens weren't drinking. I didn't have that problem. They drank almost all the water. Followed up with Ivermectin (some on here like it and others like other brands). Make sure you do not eat the eggs for, I think, two weeks afterwards, although I went a month afterwards as I sell my eggs and wanted to be doubly sure the hens systems were fine. Also I think someone said not to feed the eggs to your dogs....others will chime in...

Back
Top Bottom