How to you breed your goat?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Soooo, if you don't have enough goats (or enough room), to keep your own buck, how do you get your girls bred? Do you take your girls somewhere, bring a buck to your house for a while, AI, or some other option?

All of the above! I have a friend right now who brought two bucks to her house for a month or two to breed all her girls.

I have another friend who has a buck that I'm going to take my doe to when she comes into heat.

Sometimes people don't have a buck in their close vicinity and thus use AI.

You need to figure out what works best for you and the owner of the buck. Most of the time the doe is taken to the buck. Some people leave her for a few hours with the buck and then take her home and sometimes people leave her for a day and come back to get her the next day. That needs to be worked out with the owner of the buck.

Depends on what you want to spend, what facilities you have, and what the breeder wants to do. Personally I was thinking of getting 2 females and finding someone within driving distance that has an unrelated buck and just driving them there. That's usually how we do it for horses. It means I don't have to be responsible for someone else's animal and I don't have to deal with an uncastrated male. I don't know if AI is cheaper for goats but it's usually several $100 more when breeding horses.

Back
Top Bottom