How to you feed fermented feed?

altogirl85

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2021
How do you feed fermented feed? I don’t mean “how do you ferment feed.” I literally mean how do you feed it to them? Do you just put it in a pan or dish and offer it? Because it won’t work in a traditional feeder. Those of you who do it, how do you give it to your chickens?

Boot tray, with a 1" lip. $4.99 at Walmart.

I also put boot trays under my water dishs to help keep bedding dry. One can also put a seedling heat mat under them to keep water dishes from freezing.

When I have veg or fruit peelings or not ready for prime time veg from the garden, they get dumped on the trays as well, to keep them out of the bedding or gravel on the garden walkways.

I use anything small and easy to clean - glass prep bowls, ceramic cat bowls, ramekins, a mini pie/tart pan. That way I can have the feed spread out throughout the run so everyone gets a chance to eat.

Not sure how big your flock is. I have 4 girls and feed them dry layer feed as well as fermented feed. I put the fermented feed in a bird feeder/waterer pan that has an attached chain. It is hung and works great. Keeps the food clean and chickens from scratching out food. The feeder is easy to wash/clean.
This is the one I purchased but they have larger sizes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099LJB86J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_88F25RZWR21NNE041S0F

20211016_153842.jpg

Last edited:
I started out using a 10' rain gutter, since I had an extra one on hand, and a place to put it. But that proved too difficult to clean, so I added trough trays to the gutter, without the tops. The trays set in the upper portion of the gutter, so it's easier for the chickens, and easier for me!

Attachments

• Rain Gutter Feeder.jpg
    Rain Gutter Feeder.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 11
  • feeder trough.jpg
    feeder trough.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom