1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How tough are ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MooseHabit, Nov 20, 2010.

1. MooseHabit

MooseHabit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Cypress, CA.
    I have seen pictures of ducks in snow, so I know they can handle cold temperatures. It's raining in California right now, so the temperature is about 60 degrees. Is that too cold for four week old ducks to go out? I only have two...

Also, what kinds of heat can they handle? Living in California, we get some hot days, sometimes in the 100's so I was curious if they will be ok [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!!

Quack!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    They can handle cold weather easily also with wet weather obvously.In the summer mine are fine as long as they have some shade and a small pool to cool off in.As long as you have a coop for the youngsters and they have most of there feathers they will be fine.

3. MooseHabit

MooseHabit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Cypress, CA.
    They don't have any feathers yet, but they have outgrown the home I have for them inside of the house...I got a giant dog crate for them, should I make it draft free?

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    If they don't have feathers they are susceptible to cold/ heat/ drafts/ wet... They are tough AFTER they get feathers. [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Since yours don't have feathers, I wouldn't put them outside or inside an unheated area. Definitely don't get them wet and make sure they are protected from the draft/wind.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They are to young to stay out at this weather. It should be at least 65 degrees and not wet. They can handle the current weather much better once they are 8 weeks old. I would not leave them out in the rain before they are completely feathered in.
    You should give them shade and plenty of water when it gets hot in summer. You may want get one of those water misting systems you can turn on when it hits the 100 degree mark. Ducks are not good handling heat, and they do need some means of cooling down. Some people even put ice into their swimming water. I put up a shade cloth over the pool in summer so they can stay cooler.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Agree with the others--they are too young to go out. They will die of chill, especially if it's wet.

If you have a kiddie pool you're planning to use for them outdoors, consider bringing it indoors to use as the base for a larger indoor home. You can cut up a cardboard box and make a barrier around the outside of the pool to keep them in--they won't challenge even the weakest visible barrier, so it doesn't have to be tough. The pool will keep the yuck off your floor, and the cardboard will keep them in. Make sure they still have access to heat until they are feathered.

Good luck. [​IMG]

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Its currently pretty rainy here too and the ducks (22 weeks or so) are loving it. They dig little holes in the ground with their bills trying to find worms and stuff.

It has definetly been hot here...in excess of 115* for up to a week at a time. Just make sure they have easily accessible drinking water 24/7, and its probably not a good idea to give them enough water to swim in to help keep cool.

9. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i agree, it's too cold out for them right now. it's been a cold few days here in so cal. when they are fully feathered they can go out and enjoy the rain much like mine are currently lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by