How unusual is it for hens to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pawsplus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    My Clarice can't be the only one. LOL! She is a very dominant chicken and crows several times a day.

How many others have crowing hens?

Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  2. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    If you dont have a rooster in your flock. Sometimes a hen will take on the rooster status so to speak.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    It's actually not uncommon when you don't have a roo. That hen may not lay any eggs. Just a warning.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    My pullet crowed and yes she is definitely a pullet. I had her outside one day with a cockerel that I have chosen, just the two of them out of sight of any other chickens. The cockerel has already crowed and is also definitely a male. Then out of the blue.. EERR ERRRRR... the pullet let out a spontaneous crow. I have never heard her crow since, but even though there was a rooster present she did it anyway. I guess it's not too uncommon.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Mrs.Puff :

It's actually not uncommon when you don't have a roo. That hen may not lay any eggs. Just a warning.

Oh, no -- she lays very nicely. [​IMG] I've had her for 3 years.​

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some hens will crow. It has nothing to do with sexuality.

Please refrain from making vulgar/rude/lude innuendoes when addressing the animal behaviors. Please stay within the guidelines of the forum rules at all times.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    They usually will crow if you don't have a Roo, My Gran mother use to tell me its bad luck to have a hen crow, she wouldn't even eat one, she would just dispose of it and that was in the depression years when food was scarce

8. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That must be one of them Southern superstitions, lol, cause my Grandma said the same thing!
    And I have a crowing hen that has been making me bonkers...it all started after I got rid of the roos...so guess what? I'm getting another roo!!

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My lead Australorp hen started crowing in the mornings after one of my other hens died . . . almost as though she was trying to round up the lost little chicken. This lasted several weeks.

That summer she also started growing the tiniest nubs where spurs would be ~ and then she stopped laying. After her molt, though, she came back around and started laying again. No more crowing, either.

10. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    When I got polly (our first chicken who was suppose to be an only chicken) she would crow something fierce. I thought crud I got a rooster now what... then she started laying eggs and I was dumbfounded... I didnt think hen crowed.....so I asked around... chickens apparently are extremely social. she needed a buddy. I got 5 free chickens (that were supposedly egg eaters) off craigslist. butchered 4 of them and kept 1. right now they reside in a human playpen with a divider and a nest box for each of them. I will get some pics for you all asap!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by