How warm can quail comfortablly survive?

CondoCountryBoy

Chirping
Mar 14, 2017
I live in South Florida condo but am interested in hatching a few quail. I still am not sure if I will go with coturnix or bobwhite, but I have very limited space. I plan to incubate them on my porch and really only want the hatching experience, but may keep a couple females for eggs and just give the rest away. My question is; How warm can it get for quail to humanely survive? I also have a attic area, should the quail get to loud for the neighbors but in the summer it gets quite warm up there. How warm of a room can they be kept in? I know during brooding a warm light is necessary, but as they get older does that get too hot? BTW if anyone in this forum lives in South Florida and wants to take extra quail off my hands, please let me know. All advice welcome.

How lucky to have to worry about getting to warm, here in England we never have to worry about that.
ya.gif
i would love some warm weather but we could be waiting a very long time. i was born in the wrong country.

sorry that doesn't answer your question, i would go with coturnix quail they are a nice quiet bird so they wont bother your neighbours. bobs are more of a handful and very wild.

I was researching just how hot attics get in Florida and some say it could hit 130! I doubt any quail would survive long in that, so the attic may be a bad idea unless I can do something to cool it off a few degrees at the height of summer. I may just need to get a thermometer up there and measure the temperature for my particular situation. The only reason I was considering Bobwhite is because should one happen to get loose they are native to Florida anyway, but from articles I have read, not even a Bobwhite that has been hand fed would survive long if they escaped into the Florida wilderness.

I was researching just how hot attics get in Florida and some say it could hit 130! I doubt any quail would survive long in that, so the attic may be a bad idea unless I can do something to cool it off a few degrees at the height of summer. I may just need to get a thermometer up there and measure the temperature for my particular situation. The only reason I was considering Bobwhite is because should one happen to get loose they are native to Florida anyway, but from articles I have read, not even a Bobwhite that has been hand fed would survive long if they escaped into the Florida wilderness.

I live in sw florida. Quail really don't like the heat during summer so they tend to dig in the mulch and find the cool spots. If exposed to direct sun or high heat they can not escape from they quickly fall over dead.

I can understand that you are worried about the neighbors being disturbed by the noise but to be honest from 20-30 feet away you probably wouldn't be able to hear them unless it was a still night and the cricks weren't chirping.

bobs are a pain to raise as there the most aggressive skittish form of quail so I wouldn't bother with them unless you planned on eating or hunting them.

bobs, cortnix and buttons all come under different rules. You will have to research where you live but you may find that buttons are pets and cornix and bobs have different rules from fowl (chickens) and may be kept up to a certain number etc.

If you just want to hatch something then I can give you a bunch of button eggs (painted quail) there small and if they escape they wont cause a problem.

Are buttons the smallest? I can pay you for the eggs, I just need an ethical way of unloading a few extra should more hatch then I expect. I have learned enough to understand that most hand fed quail die if released and it is also illegal. Are you willing to take a few back? Buttons sound too small to really eat and I am not going to butcher birds I raised with my girlfriend. I understand that a flock needs to be culled once and a while and there may be times when I need to put an injured bird down, but my girlfriend felt bad when I brought home quail from the grocery store after she saw the tiny legs, I can only imagine how she would react if she knew I going to kill and eat pets she had hand fed. I am just afraid I will get stuck with more birds than I can handle and will have to make a tough decision.

Are buttons the smallest? I can pay you for the eggs, I just need an ethical way of unloading a few extra should more hatch then I expect. I have learned enough to understand that most hand fed quail die if released and it is also illegal. Are you willing to take a few back? Buttons sound too small to really eat and I am not going to butcher birds I raised with my girlfriend. I understand that a flock needs to be culled once and a while and there may be times when I need to put an injured bird down, but my girlfriend felt bad when I brought home quail from the grocery store after she saw the tiny legs, I can only imagine how she would react if she knew I going to kill and eat pets she had hand fed. I am just afraid I will get stuck with more birds than I can handle and will have to make a tough decision.

buttons are the smallest. I can give you the eggs for free. I just need a idea of how many you want so I can collect them. As for returning the overflow that's not a problem at all. Send me a pm if you want to try the buttons and we can work out how many you want and how we will get them to you.

ok I PM'd you....what do you feed freshly hatched quail? I assume it would be game feed, but does it have to be ground up?

When I first got interested in hatching quail an bought a cage from Turkey that I knew would take weeks to come and it still has not arrived. It is about the only "quail cage" have seen advertised. Does anyone know if this will be sufficient for button quail? I am thinking they are so small they may slip right though the feeding hole. Maybe I am better off with an aquarium? Maybe I have been over thinking this, but I want my button quail to have the best life a quail can. All suggestions on bedding, foods and general raising is welcome. I do not have children or any other pets and my options are limited considering the condo rules I live under. If I go though with this, these quail will be my babies!!! At least until I can finally get my rural dream house.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...i=boPKWNL1E4XxmAGWlaHwCQ#imgrc=dUYFUuY0x4FQoM:

Hi there,

We've got 17 quail in our desert climate in Dahab, Egypt. We only purchased them last December, so we're yet to find out how they will handle the summer heat. Ours our outside, and, in anticipation of summer, we've built them a new pen in the shade, directly on the ground, so they can dig and find cool spots. We'll keep an eye on them, and let you know how we fare! Apparently quail are mentioned in the bible, as having lived in the Sinai desert (where we are as well), so I'm hoping our local variety can handle the heat!

Back
Top Bottom