How we legalized Backyard Chickens (in Anchorage, AK)

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
Hey guys! Last week we celebrated a big victory here in Anchorage. We finally made it possible to legally own backyard chickens throughout the municipality. Previously, it was legal, but only if the chickens were kept 100' from property lines which is, of course, not feasible on the vast majority of city lots. Finally, after something like an 8-year battle, last Tuesday it was made offical and coops can legally be kept within 10 feet of the property line, which makes it much more feasible.

http://www.anchoragepress.com/news/article_e531e506-76a4-11e0-90b9-001cc4c03286.html

My girl Cornelia was the cover girl on the newspaper. (I work for the paper <g>) I'm waiting to get a PDF of the cover and I will post that, too!

Anyway, we're very excited over this victory and wanted to share. Plus, the writer did a great job making what could have been rather dull subject matter very entertaining!

thumbsup.gif

Considering mine were ordered months ago.......
wink.png
THANK YOU!!!!! A neighbor already has a (still illegal) banty rooster, so I was not looking at upset neighbors. BUT. This makes it much easier. They got here yesterday and we are loving them!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom