How well do your Appleyards lay?

Kimsie

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Arlington, WA
Hi, I am a new member, but I have been reading the forums for a few weeks. We got 11 Muscovy ducklings about a month ago who were part of a clutch of 15 hatched and brooded by their mother, and we have also gotten a few Campbells and Welsh Harlequins and we are getting 1-3 eggs a day from them. We got the Muscovys mainly for meat and brooding abilities, but now I understand that the Muscovy meat is good but not quite like other ducks, and we are sure we will like the Muscovy, but we like regular duck too, so since we would like to get some more ducks for eggs next year, and since it is just as much work to process a little duck as a big one, I am thinking about Silver Appleyards as a dual purpose breed. However, I saw a site from England that said that Silver Appleyards had lost their good egg laying abilities, but I am hoping that in the USA they are still good layers.

How well do your Appleyards lay and if they are good layers, where did you get them?

Thanks,

Kim

WelcometoBYC.gif
. I believe they are fairly good layers for being such a large breed.

we easily get 230 (average) a year per duck. Some are closer to 200, some might be more, but it averages to around 230 a year. We have an ever growing flock from multiple sources including Holderreads (hoping to ad more from them in spring as well). Great ducks, very smart easy to work with moving them from their houses to their pasture.

Back
Top Bottom