How wet can ducklings get?

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
We just got a duck waterer for our ducklings so that they could have an easier time getting their entire bills into it... They proceeded to run through each of the water cups to get their entire bodies wet. They should not he at any sort of drowning risk, but I want to make sure they won't get too cold. They have their heat plate, but I'm not sure it will warm them up fast enough. We just plugged the heat lamp in as well to help warm the brooder up some more as well. Should we take this waterer away until they are a little bigger and can't fit into the cups, or are they fine with it? Here is how wet they are getting for reference:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vzwoUdqVkxTTtrok8

Aren't they adorable:love go with something homemade like this easy to make and if you have more than 2 ducklings then it would be better to have 2. It's best to keep them from getting soaked at their age unless you stand there and dry them. It would be okay to let them have tub time in some nice warm water up to the tops of their legs to start off let them play and bathe then pat dry and back into a warm brooder. This will get them preening and get their oil gland working to start waterproofing themselves. Also these waterers set on an old broiler pan or some type of tray with puppy pee pad under will keep your brooder drier too.
:welcome
IMG_2627.jpeg

Last edited:
Aren't they adorable:love go with something homemade like this easy to make and if you have more than 2 ducklings then it would be better to have 2. It's best to keep them from getting soaked at their age unless you stand there and dry them. It would be okay to let them have tub time in some nice warm water up to the tops of their legs to start off let them play and bathe then pat dry and back into warm brooder. This will get them preening and get theor oil glsnd working to start water proofing themselves. Also these waterers set on an old broiler pan or some type of tray with puppy pee pad under will keep your brooder drier too.
View attachment 3520362

Thank you! We thought they might be getting a little too wet for that age. They were actually using a parmesan cheese container with a similar design, they will be going back to it for now!

Aren't they adorable:love go with something homemade like this easy to make and if you have more than 2 ducklings then it would be better to have 2. It's best to keep them from getting soaked at their age unless you stand there and dry them. It would be okay to let them have tub time in some nice warm water up to the tops of their legs to start off let them play and bathe then pat dry and back into a warm brooder. This will get them preening and get their oil gland working to start waterproofing themselves. Also these waterers set on an old broiler pan or some type of tray with puppy pee pad under will keep your brooder drier too.
View attachment 3520362
🤦‍♀️a puppy pad! that's brillant! I wish I would have seen this three weeks ago. i've been trying to figure out how to keep my duckling's brooder from getting so wet. i think when i get home from work tonight i'll empty and clean their brooder and add a puppy pad. thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom