How & When to Ween Off Heat Lamp?

mandajain

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
I am new to raising chicks. I’ve been reading several things to make sure I am taking good care of my 4 chicks. My chicks are almost 2 weeks old. Can you give me pointers of how and when to start weening them off the heat lamp? I know it’s not time to do it yet, but I just want to be prepared. Thank you!

You begin weaning off heat by the end of the first week by simply raising the lamp so the temperature of the heat "footprint" is a few degrees cooler. There is no set rule book for the amount of heat. You generally go by the behavior of the chicks.

As chicks grow real feathers, they are beginning to help insulate the chick against lost body heat, so you should see your chicks visiting the heat zone less frequently. They are, in fact, weaning themselves off heat.

Generally, by the time chicks are three weeks old, they no longer require heat during the day when the ambient temp is mild (65-70F). Their new feathers prevent heat loss while at the same time, they are eating all day long generating heat from food calories. Thus, an eternal heat source becomes less of a necessity.

They will require some heat at night until they completely feather out around five or six weeks. The reason why they need heat at night isn't that it's colder, but for the simple reason they generate less heat from calories while sleeping instead of eating. Once they have complete feather coverage, they are well insulated against losing body heat, even on cold nights.

By age six weeks, if properly acclimatized, chicks can move into the coop without heat as long as the ambient temps are above freezing.

I live in India I never use heat lamp .
When I got my chicks last year I only turn on the regular white light till 7 pm and then turn off . .You should turn off the lamp if you see heat stress like panting holding wings out laying or searching for shade

Scientifically , turning off the lights and giving them darkness atmosphere let them sleep very good . and let them stay calm n relax ..turning on light 24h make them aggressive still some countries are very cold and heat lamp is compulsory ..so I SUGGEST TO ADD A RED LIGHT LAMP

You begin weaning off heat by the end of the first week by simply raising the lamp so the temperature of the heat "footprint" is a few degrees cooler. There is no set rule book for the amount of heat. You generally go by the behavior of the chicks.

As chicks grow real feathers, they are beginning to help insulate the chick against lost body heat, so you should see your chicks visiting the heat zone less frequently. They are, in fact, weaning themselves off heat.

Generally, by the time chicks are three weeks old, they no longer require heat during the day when the ambient temp is mild (65-70F). Their new feathers prevent heat loss while at the same time, they are eating all day long generating heat from food calories. Thus, an eternal heat source becomes less of a necessity.

They will require some heat at night until they completely feather out around five or six weeks. The reason why they need heat at night isn't that it's colder, but for the simple reason they generate less heat from calories while sleeping instead of eating. Once they have complete feather coverage, they are well insulated against losing body heat, even on cold nights.

By age six weeks, if properly acclimatized, chicks can move into the coop without heat as long as the ambient temps are above freezing.

Totally agreed

I live in Florida so cold is not an issue. Maybe I can start turning it off at night when they are three weeks. I already raised the light so it sounds like I’m going in the right direction. Thank you!

I live in Florida so cold is not an issue. Maybe I can start turning it off at night when they are three weeks. I already raised the light so it sounds like I’m going in the right direction. Thank you!
I'm in Florida too. NW. My 4 wk old chicks spent the night last night outside in their temporary coop with no heat. Low was 51. They did just fine. I've been bringing them outside since a week old on warmer days and weened them off heat completely in the garage about 5 days ago.

High today is mid 70s in Pensacola. At two weeks, they would love this sunny weather for an hour or so.

Last edited:
I have been letting them outside in the coop some during the day since it’s been sunny. They love it! I guess you just watch how they act to see if they are good or not.

Back
Top Bottom