how, where, how much and why do you use DE?

There are two grades of DE. One is food grade and one is considered industrial. They use the latter in pool filters.

Does the DE have any kind of brand name? I would look up any name on the bag.

Last edited:
So let's get to the 'how much'? Any of you that use DE - how much do you mix with your feed?

And is it safe even for very young chicks?

This may help some:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81651

I don't know if it's safe for chicks, I wold think so but I'm not sure. There are all kinds of brands out there. Feed stores usually have them and the brand isn't much big deal, as long as its safe for animals.
If you wan more info it helps to go to wikipeadia.com (sp?) and type in Diatomasis Earth. You can also search on google to see places that sell online.

I wish i also could find a place that sells it in my area. I have not thought of calling garden centers i will have to give them a try. The shiping coast is a bit much for me to order online but i might have to go ahead and do it.

I sell it in 3, 5 and 8 pounds being restricted by the flat rate boxes. If you need more than that let me know and I'll figure the postage. PM me if you are interested.

I have a shaker bottle for the DE with a lid. I sprinkle it over the poop pit under the roosts, all around in the coop including their nest boxes, and their favorite dust bath holes.I sprinkle once a week just lightly. Also I sprinkle in their run ocassionally. Since I use FOOD GRADE DE I put some scratch in the part of the coop that has a floor. They scratch and do a good job mixing it up in the pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom