How will I know when my Toms need seperating?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickensioux, Sep 12, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have 3 toms. (Got 2 that were supposed to be female) They are about 6 months old and have always gotten along great....until recently. They have started fighting. Questions:
    How do I know when it gets too serious?
    Should I seperate them?
    Is it going to get bad in the spring?
    I really want them to stay together but I don't want them to really hurt each other.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I currently have two toms, and they fight occasionally, but not overmuch. One is the dominant male and is always showing off his tale feathers, the other less so.

I figure that if they are actually trying to kill each other or causing serious damage, then it's time to seperate them. Otherwise, boys will be boys and enjoys a little tussle now and then.

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    they should stop as soon as they get pecking order figured out. Only need to to intervene if it gets real bad and they won't stop and one could die. For the most part they will get it figured out soon and be just fine till you bring in a hen or two.

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    They don't fight near as much when left together as they do when seperated a few days at a time then put back together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by