How worried should I be about soft eggs

Japuvian

Chirping
Oct 18, 2019
Portland, Oregon
My girls have been laying for about two months now for the first time. We switched them from medicated crumbles to Cluck and Peck organic feed with corn and soy when they started laying and they have access to free feed oyster shells. One of my girls a white easter egger is laying soft/shell less eggs on occasion. They have been avoiding the fines in the feed so I took some advice I found on the board to make a mash with it. The Mash worked and they are eating it and I got a couple of good eggs but this morning we got another soft egg.

Is her body still working out the egg laying kinks or should I be worried she isn't eating a balanced diet?

Last edited:
Why are you still feeding a medicated feed? I don't know of a layer feed that is medicated so I'm assuming that Cluck and Peck is about 1% calcium and about 18% protein. Do you know what those levels are?

Why are you still feeding a medicated feed? I don't know of a layer feed that is medicated so I'm assuming that Cluck and Peck is about 1% calcium and about 18% protein. Do you know what those levels are?

Oops! I meant Cluck and Peck Organic Feed! That's what I get for posting before coffee.

1582913163144.png

That amount of Calcium is certainly enough for layers. 4% is specially for laying hens and too high on calcium for roosters.

My chickens have only 2 - 2.5% calcium in their feed and lay good eggs (if they lay) with strong shells. I often give the shells of the eaten eggs back as a supplement.

You meant scratch and peck. I'm familiar. It has good quality ingredients but I find the only way they get the entire benefit is by either fermenting or wetting into an oatmeal consistency. Otherwise they leave behind all the goodies that are added as powders. That includes all the vitamins, minerals and the lysine. That means they may not be getting all the D3 and phosphorus that is in the feed even if they are eating the oyster shell. That can definitely affect the shell quality.

That type of whole grain feed is best served fermented.
The fines are where the Calcium, Vitamins, minerals and amino acids are added.
I believe Scratch and Peck recommends fermenting on their website.
At least serve wet and let it set an hour before serving, the consistency of oatmeal. GC

I have another brand but the same ‘problem’.
About twice a week I mix the left over meal with things they like and are healthy as a supplement. Like yoghurt, a little apple cider vinegar, some orange juice and add water to make a crumbly substance. This way they eat it all.

Back
Top Bottom