How would I do this?

HyperCello

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
I want to make my little run taller so I can walk in it, and put a roof on it. I had a tarp on it, but our first big wind storm tried to make it a parachute and I almost lost the entire small run. I want to attach the roof to the big run (6 ft high), and have it go down to 5 1/2 feet (if that is enough of a drop). How do I do that without it becoming a parachute again? I'm not very handy yet...I just got a miter saw so I can cut wood easier, but that's the only power tool I have....lol!
IMG_20200517_120735910_HDR.jpg

I am not a builder, nor do I pretend to be one on tv :D . But, I'm good at thinking up wild things for hubby to do (which he ignores).

You get snow? I think there should be a ledger board by/next to the chain link pen. Not sure you could successfully attach to it, so you would need upright posts, to hold the ledger board. Then you run rafters/joists/not sure the correct term, from the ledger board to more upright posts (which are shorter than the other side posts) that are on the opposite side of the chicken run. Then roof it. Think of it like adding a roof to a deck (which we did last summer).

We don't have much slope, but were limited because of the house roofline. I don't now that you would get much slope either, only going from 6 ft to 5 1/2 feet. Maybe you could make the ledger board higher than 6 ft tho?

20200612_164728.jpg 20200612_164738.jpg 20200612_164756.jpg

Last edited:
I want to make my little run taller so I can walk in it, and put a roof on it. I had a tarp on it, but our first big wind storm tried to make it a parachute and I almost lost the entire small run. I want to attach the roof to the big run (6 ft high), and have it go down to 5 1/2 feet (if that is enough of a drop). How do I do that without it becoming a parachute again? I'm not very handy yet...I just got a miter saw so I can cut wood easier, but that's the only power tool I have....lol!
View attachment 2191047

If you get more than a foot of snow at a time, and you aren't an experienced builder, make the roof as steep as you can.

I would just get a bunch of posts, one set as tall as I could afford and the other set as short as I felt I was happy with walking next to.

One line of the tall posts up against the chain link. The line of short posts on the opposite side. Don't forget to sink the posts in pretty deep. At a guess 2 feet, or about 1/5 of the total post length.

Then tie it all together. I would toss roofing up there, it sure is nice to have a snow free run, especially with a small coop.

Thanks! We are lucky lately to get any snow at all...usually a lot less than a foot. I was going to support it with a frame. So if I sink the posts, there's not much chance of it getting blown away? Sorry, I freaked as I watched my little run almost go flying away, so I'm super nervous....

Back
Top Bottom