1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how would i find a place that will process a bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stone_family3, Aug 22, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a roo I have tried giving away with no luck. I wouldn't even know how to process him myself.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Go to your state's thread. If you ask around in there, I bet you'll get some direction or maybe even a teacher!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I posted on Craigslist and found someone

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    You can ask around at your local fellow chicken owners, though you've already found somebody. Doing your own is easier than you think, and here's a great pictorial. While labeled "graffic", it may help to see this done in pictures before tackling it live.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    [​IMG] on processing yourself.

To do just a bird or two processing your self should be much less a hastle than arranging to get someone to do it. It is really not that difficult and even some of the tutorials and threads concerning processing can make it look more-to-do than it really is. Seeing you found someone, hopefully you can watch or help just to build skills for the future.

I do get someone in to process batches that would take me a weekend to process but it just takes me 10-15 min to process the odd one here and there, skinning is much less hastle than hand plucking.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by