How would i go about rescuing factory hens? Lots of questions

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
Hi, I'm thinking about rescuing some retired egg laying hens from a factory farm, i have room for two currently (and some room to spare).
I know how to actually get them but I'm wondering what i do after.
how long do i quarantine them for and how far away should they be from the coop?
Also how do i go about introducing them to the world? Like will they just have the instinct that tells them to roost at night and hide if they see a hawk or will they be helpless?
I know they will most likely be missing feathers so is it safe for them to be outside during winter? They will be in a dog crate inside an insulated shed and during the day they'll be confined in part of the yard.
What sorts of diseases should i watch for with them? Is it even safe for my existing flock to be introduced to birds who previously have been kept in horrible conditions despite quarantine?
How often will the rescue hens lay eggs? It doesn't matter to me and i recognize I'll be getting retired hens, i don't need eggs, I'm just curious.
I know my flock would be a great place for some rescues to be, i have plenty of space in my two coops, my run and the rest of my large yard. I just want to make sure it'll be a good fit and that i quarantine properly to prevent disease. I have more questions, none of which i can think of right now but I'm sure I'll be adding them later. I've never done anything like this so I'm sort of flying blind and frantically reading articles online, but I'm also very excited to hopefully take in some new girls and giving them a good life.
Thanks everybody in advance, i hope i wasn't to confusing.

Hi, I'm thinking about rescuing some retired egg laying hens from a factory farm, i have room for two currently (and some room to spare).
I know how to actually get them but I'm wondering what i do after.
how long do i quarantine them for and how far away should they be from the coop?
Also how do i go about introducing them to the world? Like will they just have the instinct that tells them to roost at night and hide if they see a hawk or will they be helpless?
I know they will most likely be missing feathers so is it safe for them to be outside during winter? They will be in a dog crate inside an insulated shed and during the day they'll be confined in part of the yard.
What sorts of diseases should i watch for with them? Is it even safe for my existing flock to be introduced to birds who previously have been kept in horrible conditions despite quarantine?
How often will the rescue hens lay eggs? It doesn't matter to me and i recognize I'll be getting retired hens, i don't need eggs, I'm just curious.
I know my flock would be a great place for some rescues to be, i have plenty of space in my two coops, my run and the rest of my large yard. I just want to make sure it'll be a good fit and that i quarantine properly to prevent disease. I have more questions, none of which i can think of right now but I'm sure I'll be adding them later. I've never done anything like this so I'm sort of flying blind and frantically reading articles online, but I'm also very excited to hopefully take in some new girls and giving them a good life.
Thanks everybody in advance, i hope i wasn't to confusing.

Hi Jemma Rider!
Did you get your rescue hens? I just saw this post. I have been taking ex battery hens for the past year and would be happy to share my experiences with you if it is still relevant ?

Hi Jemma Rider!
Did you get your rescue hens? I just saw this post. I have been taking ex battery hens for the past year and would be happy to share my experiences with you if it is still relevant ?
yes, thank you, if it's not to much trouble. I aim to rescue them sometime in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom