How would i tell the difference?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jan 2, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    so for breeding season, im gonna be separating my breeds early. i have a small pen for my ancona pair, and im gonna use the normal duck pen for the welsh harlequin quad, but i dont have one for the rouen trio! could they go with my moms chickens for a month or two? how would i tell the difference from the chicken eggs and the duck eggs for hatching?! [​IMG]

thanks in advance!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Duck eggs are probably going to be bigger and have a different feel on their eggs

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:wow! you answered really fast! [​IMG] thanks! BTW she has RIRs, would their eggs be a differnt color?

4. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Duck eggs are larger and have a more waxy feel to them. They aren't nice and smooth looking like a chicken egg.

5. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:wow! you answered really fast! [​IMG] thanks! BTW she has RIRs, would their eggs be a differnt color?

Yeah, ducks don't lay brown eggs [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    They aren't nice and smooth looking

my duck eggs were ALWAYS smooth looking [​IMG]

Yeah, ducks don't lay brown eggs

[​IMG] i didnt know RIRs lay brown eggs,...........cool!​

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Her RIR should lay tan to brown. Your Rouen should feel waxy/smooth. Her chickens won't enjoy having the ducks with them for long with the water mess they will make and potential for the drake to harass the chickens.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:the drake is a VERY easy going guy. he doesnt even harass the duck hens. i dont think he will bother with the chickens. the ducks did live with these RIR for a while, the chickens just ignored them. and they stayed well away from the duck kiddie pool. i just hope they will be like that again [​IMG]

9. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:My ducks hang out with my chickens day & night without any issues. The ducks greet the chickens every morning when they come down from the coop. The ducks remain in the run from the time the chickens go to bed until we take them out once we get home from work. They love eachother. The drake even cleans up their fluffy butts. I watch him do it, the chickens just stand there while he cleans them up. There's no fighting or anything going on with them.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  10. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:the drake is a VERY easy going guy. he doesnt even harass the duck hens. i dont think he will bother with the chickens. the ducks did live with these RIR for a while, the chickens just ignored them. and they stayed well away from the duck kiddie pool. i just hope they will be like that again [​IMG]

I thought I had a very calm drake but I am finding that you truly will never know what they will do during mating season. I would watch them carefully to make sure nothing terrible will happen!!! And yes my leg horns eggs are white like the ducks but there is a VERY large difference in shape and size [​IMG]!!! You will know for sure with RIR's since they lay a light brown. But really size will give it away without a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by