How would you build a relatively sound-free coop?

blbgp

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
Need help - ladies are bothering the neighbors. Willing to do whatever it takes. They free range quietly during the day.

have you tried bribing them with eggs? (the neighbors...not the chickens).

my girls are mostly quiet, I only worry about the roosters I'm getting next week.

I think if I was going to try to do it I would make a round one out of strawbales. Hopefully that would cut the noise. Warning, I have neve tried it but I have thought about it a lot, LOL.

good luck.. mine is insulated and we got up at 6 am.. i couldn't stand it any longer. they were crowing like crazy this morning lol. it wasn't even sunup yet.. i love it but my parents are coming to visit for 3 weeks.. don't think they will love it as much as i do lol

Any type of mass will help stop the transmission. Think of what they do on expressways, they put up massive walls that are tall to block and absorb noise. You need to put in bushes, dirt mounds, maybe a tall fence, things like that. Put them around the coop, not close to your neighbors to stifle the noise as much as you can at the source.

In the coop itself, insulation will help but if you have open windows, it will still allow noise out. You can also try to absorb some noise in the coop. Foam is used in movie rooms to absorb sound but in a coop is not practical. You may be able to hang some material that will absorb instead of walls that reflect noise.

Glad I live in the woods!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom