How would you design a tractor out of an old crib?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ewe Mama2, May 12, 2009.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I was in my garage yesterday, looking at all the "stuff" taking up space and wondered if anyone had ever designed a chicken tractor out of an old crib or changing table. I also have three strollers (good source for wheels). Any ideas? I have lots of ideas, but lack the skills needed to bring them to fruition. [​IMG]

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Well, I think I would cut off the legs of the crib and leave them just to a short height. Two wheels off the stroller could be attached one at each corner on one of the ends. To attach you could make a short axel out a dowell and drill a hole into the short leg. Then you could take chicken wire and attach to the bottom of one of the cribs sides and form a wall and roof (picture it being like a covered wagon look only with wire rather than canvas) and secure it to the crib with zip ties or wire. You may want to run a support board down the center of the crib so that the wire is secured to it. I can see it all in my mind, and I know it could be used. I hope this makes sense.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I would think you could turn the crib into the coop part of the tractor, it would need to be covered in treated plywood and some cuts would need to be made for a door and ventilation. But I would put it up on some boards for the run underneath. Sorry, Im not very technical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by