How would you know the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Linda in San Diego, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Between Red Sex Linked or Rhode Island Reds?

We got the assortment of chicks, our Delightful Dozen from a feed store. There was some confusion when the chicks came in and now I am wondering if there is a way to tell the difference.

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    my RIR is much "redder" than the red sex links. Also the sex links have some small white feathers the RIR is all red.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I dunno... looking at Feathersite... it looks like the RIR are a bit softer overall pattern-wise with a more uniform red back and light belly as to where the red sex-links look a little more brown and stronger in their markings. Darned close though.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Red sex links have a white undercoat of feathers.

5. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Undercoat like feathers under the red feathers or on the belly? I do see the McMurray catalogue says Red Star have flecks of white throughout.

That's what is making me think RIR instead of Red Star - I don't see any white feathers...LOL It makes not one bit of difference, I just want to know.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    White feathers under the red feathers, as in if you lift up the red feathers you'll see white.

7. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Time to catch a chicken or 3 [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many times with hatchery RIRs, there isn't alot of difference, especially if you get a sexlink with not that much white on her. A breeder quality RIR doesn't even look like the same breed as a hatchery RIR most of the time. Also, sexlinks are usually lighter weight birds; still, there are too many lightweight RIRs produced by the hatcheries. Overall, it's like Lee says, the sexlink has lots of white on her usually.

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is my red sex link at 10 weeks.

[​IMG]

You can see her white underfeathers on her tail. I would call her more orangey red or browny red than really red red.

If that makes any sense!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by