How would you know the difference?

Linda in San Diego

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
San Diego
Between Red Sex Linked or Rhode Island Reds?

We got the assortment of chicks, our Delightful Dozen from a feed store. There was some confusion when the chicks came in and now I am wondering if there is a way to tell the difference.

I dunno... looking at Feathersite... it looks like the RIR are a bit softer overall pattern-wise with a more uniform red back and light belly as to where the red sex-links look a little more brown and stronger in their markings. Darned close though.

Quote:
Undercoat like feathers under the red feathers or on the belly? I do see the McMurray catalogue says Red Star have flecks of white throughout.

That's what is making me think RIR instead of Red Star - I don't see any white feathers...LOL It makes not one bit of difference, I just want to know.

Quote:
Time to catch a chicken or 3
wink.png

Many times with hatchery RIRs, there isn't alot of difference, especially if you get a sexlink with not that much white on her. A breeder quality RIR doesn't even look like the same breed as a hatchery RIR most of the time. Also, sexlinks are usually lighter weight birds; still, there are too many lightweight RIRs produced by the hatcheries. Overall, it's like Lee says, the sexlink has lots of white on her usually.

Here is my red sex link at 10 weeks.

12215_buttercup-10wk.jpg

You can see her white underfeathers on her tail. I would call her more orangey red or browny red than really red red.

If that makes any sense!!

Back
Top Bottom