How would you put a roof on Chain-Link?

I-Have-Happy-Hens

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Carrboro, NC
Hi,

I will be building a silkie coop for 2-3 silkies and wanted to know how many of you guys have a chain-link run with a roof and what did you use to attach it?

Pics would be alot of Help too.

Thanks for your Help,

Happy-Hens

Using these (brace rail clamps, found in the chain link fence section at Lowes):

84140_img_0850.jpg

We added these (PVC pipe every three feet, then hardware cloth attached to each pipe with zip ties:

84140_img_0823.jpg

And ended up with this:

84140_img_0838.jpg

Gail

I have a roof over my Silkie pen. I have done two different things. The first one I made of PVC, I made a frame that went up in a peak and the sides were secured to the kennel panels by clamps. I attached a heavy duty tarp secured to it by zip ties.

The problem I had was there were not enough supports along the sides because rain collected on the top if it rained really hard.

What I have now is the top to one of those free standing gazebos. My supports were damaged in a wind storm so I repurposed the top as the roof to the silkie pen. I secured it using clamps. I don’t have any pictures right now.

Last edited:
I just have chicken wire over my dog kennel run because of the tree inside the middle it's not an option for a roof. I have seen folks around here put roofs on their dog kennels to keep their dogs dry. What I gathered looking at it is it appears they built roof trusses on top of the kennel connected to support beams inside the kennel. I imagine they dug a hole and filled with concrete to keep the beams in place.

I laid a 2x4 across the top of the chain link panel, and wrapped hay string around it, a new wrap every eight inches or so, the whole length, then tied off. Then I screwed some used steel roofing across it, 15' span. It was used and bent, and leaked some, so I snugged a tarp down over it, also secured with hay string, WOOT! LOL Works perfect. Looks like part of the Jaycee Dugard compound though..

The setup we bought used had 6 panels -- the two in the worst shape became the roof. I sewed them on with galvanized wire, pliers, and a whole lot of patience
lol.png

"I really really like your coop and Run that would be great for My silkies! How many chickens are you keeping in there?"

Started out with 12 chicks; nine of them ended up being roosters! They were rehomed and with trading/purchasing others we have 8 in this coop. They are the larger breeds (Buffs, Barred Rocks) so you could have more silkies with a coop and run this size.

The coop is 4 by 8, the run 7 feet wide by about 15 feet long.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom