How would you seal your wood floor?

my husband just completed our 3 coops; we used plywood sheets everywhere we could: floor; walls; roof,; and we discussed what to do with the plywood floor. In one coop I put down heavy plastic stapled all around exterior edge. In short order the chickens scratched through it and shredded it.

We are using the deep litter method and there should not be any real dampness or wetness; the litter/shavings should absorb before it hits the floor. I am also using Stall Dry which absorbs liquid and eliminates any odor and cuts down on parasites (diatomaceous earth is an ingredient), sprinkling it around lightly inside on top of the shavings once a week while the chickens are outside. Works great on my alpaca's poop piles in the pasture.

We decided if we should see any moisture issues we will reconsider. I would then look at the stick down vinyl tiles from Habitat for Humanity or off Craigslist for cheap, or a remnant sheet of vinyl. Remember that the chickens scratch, scratch, scratch, so any sealant may just get scratched off.
I hang their water and food to eliminate any tipping over and spillage. Best of luck with your chicks.

Last edited:
My coop is fairly small - 6x8 ft. - so I bought a vinyl floor remnant for $12 at the local home center. It's very easy to clean out the coop. Well worth the price and effort.

Back
Top Bottom