How young can you introduce chicks to your adult flock?

krazycricket21

Songster
Feb 6, 2010
Roy
I have 7 different chicks that i want to put outside.
They will have plenty of different areas for shelter.
I only have two adult hens (one has already adopted one of the chicks).
They are different breeds (cochin/silkie mix, EEer, cornish cross, NHR/Buff Orph mix).
Is it too early to put them out there together?
They are 2-3 months old.

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
I have done it as young as 8 weeks. I make sure they have a place to "hide" and accessable food and water in the hiding spot. Also, I free-range everyone at the same time, so the big kids are used to the little kids.

ETA: I like to wait until later, but the 8 weekers were a breed that got gynourmous fast, like CMs or something...

Last edited:

Montana-Hens

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Buxton, Montana
This sounds encouraging..I have two ladies (buff brahma & barred Plymouth Rock ) that are two years old. I have 5 chicks that I am going to introduce shortly. It has always been all or none before. I hate that period with no eggs, so am going to try some integration this.

cluckin_crazy

Green Bot
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I have 2 six months olds, 2 three month olds and then on the fly, I adopted 4 two month olds. I kept the wee ones in a coop nest to the big one so that they all saw each other during they ay while they were cooped up. Then when I got home from work, they all free ranged together. It took about a week of roaming together for the big ones to pick on the little ones less, but now they are all in the same coop together. It depends a lot on the birds personalities. Just make sure you watch them while you have them together so you can separate them if need be.

prncssprplfrog

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Schuyler Lake
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Top Bottom